Mac mail does not work in Filemaker

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by rmacintosh, Jan 20, 2009.

1. rmacintosh

rmacintosh Bit poster

I have been using Parallels for almost a year. I also use Quickbooks(QB) and Filemaker(FM) for my small business.

I use FM to create invoices and manage my customer data. The Mac version of QB is not good so I use the PC version. I transfer FM data to QB through a FM Connector script and it works well.

My problem is that when I have Parallels open on the PC side, I cannot send emails from FM(through mail on the mac). I have to exit all programs and quit Parallels prior to sending emails from FM. Sometimes I forget and while it appears to send the mail, when you check sent items you find it has not been sent although there is a record of the email in customer data in FM.

Regular emails through mail can be sent on the mac when Parallels is open; this only happens when email is trying to be sent through FM.

Any help would be appreciated.

Rod

2. unused_user_name

unused_user_name Pro

Ok, let me see if I understand you here...

You are running 2 mac programs: Apple Mail and Filemaker.
    You are running 1 virtual machine with Windows on it, with a copy of quickbooks running in it.

There is a network script that connects quickbooks to filemaker.

When the network connector script is active, filemaker can not send email, however apple mail can. When parallels is closed and the network connector script is not active, filemaker can send email.

Can you try sending email from filemaker while Parallels is running with Windows booted, but when quickbooks is not running? (You may have to manually kill programs in the Windows task manager to get any background tasks...)

3. rmacintosh

rmacintosh Bit poster

with just parallels open and nothing open on the virtual machine, I cannot send emails from filemaker (that is open on the mac). As soon as parallels is closed, I can send from FM.

4. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

What error you are receiving?
    And do you have internet connection when Parallels is running?

5. rmacintosh

rmacintosh Bit poster

I do not receive an error, the mail in mac simply does not end the email. The FileMaker process is the same and it appears as though the mail will be sent (there is a copy stored as a record for the FM client) but it is not sent.

The internet connection is good and running.

6. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

How to test
    Check email settings for mail server
    and perform following operations when VM is running
    nsllokup mail.server.com -- it should be your SMTP server

telnet mail.server.com 25 (25 is SMTP port use other port if settings differ)