Detection of USB memory stick

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by izzybh, Jan 7, 2009.

1. izzybh

izzybh Bit poster

I plug my USB memory stick in and Parallels automatically asks me whether i want it detected by Windows. I click Yes - if i look up Devices - USB, it appears but I can't access it on the actual Virtual Machine. It doesn't come up in My Computer or detected in Add New Hardware. How do I fix this problem? Help would be much appreciated!

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Could you please check is it available in Device manager?

3. rcj5

rcj5 Bit poster

Same here. I am trying to plug USB devices (a Kensington mouse and a Garmin Bluetooth device) in. It asks me whether to connect to the Mac or the Virtual Machine. I click VM but the devices are not showing up in windows. Not in device manager. (Under USB controllers or Mice categories, right?). I've also changed the settings in Preferences, still no good.
    These devices worked fine prior to upgrade to Parallels 4. (v4.0.3810)

4. jonzg

jonzg Junior Member

I have the same problem, but with a portable usb drive. I works perfectly with bootcamp and another windows computer. But when I connect it to my XP VM, it recognizes it, installs the drivers, but I can't access it on "My Computer". On the device manager it appears under hard disks, it says that it is available and working without problems. Also if I try to access it on the the disk managment program, I can only see my C drive and the dvd drive.
    Thanks

5. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Is it showing in menu Devices -USB?

6. dasmith59

dasmith59 Bit poster

Don't know your system, BUT, on mine-PD4/Vista on a MacBook Pro-I must do a stop/start every time in order for the system to recognize my thumbdrive. Will not work with a suspend/resume action.

Don S

7. nealitc

nealitc Member