PD4 & Windows in full screen

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by nemolives, Nov 27, 2008.

1. nemolives

nemolives Bit poster

I'm having issues with PD4 (build 3540) running a Windows VM (in full screen mode) in a different space to my OS X windows. When I cntrl-rightarrow to move from spaces 1 to spaces 2 (where the VM is running) and then cntrl-leftarrow back to spaces 1, all of the OS X windows that were open lose their minimise button (i.e. it gets greyed out). When you restart any of the affected greyed out OS X apps, the minimise button is fine again. Repeating the process removes it again. This doesn't seem to happen if running in coherence mode - only in full screen.

Any suggestions (other than don't use full screen mode :) )?

2. Forgiven

Forgiven Member

This is very strange behavior. I tried to reproduce it on my Mac. Build 3540, activated spaces, activated Full screen mode of VM, opened several windows in VM, switched to another space and back, but all options like: scroll down and minimize was still active. Could you post another details to reproduce the issue and the screenshot with grayed out minimize button will be very helpful.

3. nemolives

nemolives Bit poster

Movie file attached - shows windows with minimise button working. Changing spaces (using cntrl-rightarrow) to VM and then back again. Shows minimise button on both OS X windows disabled.

Attached Files:

4. nemolives

nemolives Bit poster

I should also point out that PD4 is assigned to spaces 2 not just running in spaces 2. Typically I would start PD4 from spaces 1 but it would start it spaces 2 due to the assignment. I'll test to see if makes a difference where I start it from.

5. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

I can attest that this has happen to me, at the time I didn't relate it to Parallels, but I noticed the other day while running Ubuntu in space 3, XP (Bootcamp partition) in space 4, and Safari which was on Space 1 suddenly got the minimize button greyed out, I restarted Safari and it was enabled again, I didn't check other OSX apps running on spaces 1 and 2 if they also got their minimize buttons greyed out, I just noticed Safari because I tried to actually minimize it.

6. jeffg

jeffg Bit poster

I'm having this issue as well and it is driving me nuts. I also have parallels assigned to space 2. When I flip back to my host OS, my minimize buttons are disabled.

It is also identified on the Apple forum.
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=8860377#8860377

Though it doesn't seem to be limited to parallels
    http://communities.vmware.com/message/1105568;jsessionid=97CF25CFDE8847CF8CD6DB6EFB7DB7D1

Reading in them.. it only appears when using keyboard shortcuts for switching spaces. Interestingly enough, using the Spaces app, or the keyboard/mouse shortcut to launch the "all spaces" view, will reset the minimize buttons if they have become disabled.

Very strange

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  7. DaTa

DaTa Hunter

Thank you,

Our Developers are aware about this issue and are working to resolve it.

At meantime, please, use the following workaround:

If to use F8 button and then switch between spaces with arrows or mouse minimize button stays active.

8. Jason Doan

Jason Doan Bit poster

Reactivated

That was funny. When I used F8 to navigate spaces, my minimize came back just from that even without restarting Firefox.

9. cvilledave

cvilledave Bit poster

Any update on the ability to minimize Windows?

It's been a few months since this was discussed, but has there been any update on the ability to minimize a Mac application window when Parallels is running? I too am seeing this, and whenever I have Parallels running (I have it set to run in the 2nd Spaces windows) I lose the minimize capability on all my other Mac applications. I tried the F8 workaround suggested but that doesn't work for me.

10. James Drew

James Drew Bit poster

Solution: 1: Create restore point and take registry backup.
    2: Delete all temp files.
    3: Delete all unwanted software's and security software's from add/remove program.
    4: Disable all unwanted services from startup and then remove from registry.
    5: Scan with spyware removal,hijackthis and trojon removal.
    6: Check windows update if found and then download and install.
    7: Restart the computer, and then check it.

11. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

@James Drew: Sorry, but I REALLY don't think it has anything to do with MS Windows®. The inability to minimize OSX windows is CLEARLY on the mac side. Usually I wouldn't intervene to such post, but the procedure you give is time-consuming but neutral to the issue.

12. shultquist

shultquist Bit poster

Notice that this is still an issue... any plan for a fix?

13. nemolives

nemolives Bit poster

I wish it were that simple

Not true... at least not for me. I've logged this as an official problem and wasn't that a painful process. I wish to god that vendors would stop using foreign call centres for technical issues!!!! ARGHH!! Anyways... it's been escalated to the developers and hopefully will be fixed soon.

14. nemolives

nemolives Bit poster

It's been formally logged by me - finally had enough and is with the developers.