what it boot time like ?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by mmurray, Jun 21, 2006.

1. mmurray

mmurray Member

what is boot time like ?

How do people find boot time from clicking the green traingle until getting a usable XP window (ie start menu appears) ? I am getting around 100 seconds and someone said they saw a video where it was more like 15 seconds.

This is a 2 gig Macbook with 2 gig RAM. I have 1 gig ram for XP and I used the expandable HD option. Networking is on localhost. Tools are installed and a shared folder with nothing in it.

Is this boot time as expected ? Can it be improved ?

Thanks Michael

Last edited: Jun 21, 2006
  2. ilovemacs

ilovemacs Junior Member

That seems too long. I have a MacBook Pro w/ 512 MB of RAM (yes, I'm getting more RAM, ordered 3rd party stuff), 1.8 GHz processor with 192 MB allocated to XP and mine boots in 20 seconds.

3. mmurray

mmurray Member

OK thanks. I should have added that I am also using a 23" monitor attached to the MB. Disconnecting that didn't seem to help but I haven' tried disconnect and reboot mac to make sure.

Michael

4. ilovemacs

ilovemacs Junior Member

What is the acceleration level set to? Is the boot order from the hard drive first?

5. SanDiegoJim

SanDiegoJim Junior Member

I have an Intel 2GHz iMac and my Windows XP Home usually boots in less than 15 seconds. It takes nearly 3 minutes on my old Compaq laptop.

6. veggiedude

veggiedude Hunter

I have seen boot times as quick as 5 seconds on my iMac (17"). I kid you not!

It dramatically improved after I converted back from an expanding drive to a static drive.

I also optimised the drive, so maybe that plays a part.

p.s. the 5 seconds is from when I hit the green triangle button to start XP to when I see the log-in window appear.

7. mmurray

mmurray Member

Acceleration is high and hard drive is first boot device,.

Thanks - Michael

8. mmurray

mmurray Member

Thanks. I will try to use a static drive. I am creating one now -- is there an easy way to switch to it without reinstalling !

EDIT: Sorry the image tool does this.

Michael

9. mmurray

mmurray Member

OK I converted to an 8 GB static hd absolutely no change.

Michael

10. jelwell

jelwell Bit poster

I get to the XP login screen from the Green triangle button (after having shutdown the machine) in 8 1/2 missippis on my 17 inch MacBookPro. I am using a plain hard drive. And I have 1024MB of memory assigned to XP. Bridged Ethernet. Boot Sequence: CD-ROM, Hard Disk, Floppy. Acceleration: High. My MacBookPro has 2GB and is 2.16GHz.

No suggestions on how to make it faster, only three cheers for Parallels' performance.
    Joseph Elwell.

11. mmurray

mmurray Member

Thanks for all the replies. Interesting that the fast ones are MB Pros. The main difference is the graphics are not so good on the MB.

Anyone with an MB doing well as well.

Michael

EDIT: Actually that isn't true there is a fast iMac up there as well.

12. BenInBlack

BenInBlack Pro

ok, I had to chime in for the mac minis

I'm full booting in about 20 seconds

I have a 20gig main expanding on mac mini hard drive and a 40gig expanding setup on the miniStack over fire wire.

I have AVG (antivirus) and autohotkey loading on startup.

Some questions:
    1. did you upgrade from an RC?
    2. have you tried uninstalling parallel tools from the Windows side, restarting the VM and then reinstalling parallel tools?
    3. what is your vitualization mode set to? (mine is vt-x)

13. mmurray

mmurray Member

Thanks BeninBlack. I just got home and checked my 20" imac (recent model 2 gig dual core, 2 gig ram and upgraded graphics memory). It boots in around 20 seconds. So either something weird is happened or the macbook has issues but the only thing I can think of is the lesser graphics card which I thought the mini shared.

OK trying to uninstall creates an error. Is there another way of doing it not in the manual ? I suspect this is my problem. When I installed I was in full screen and something strange happened and it all went black so I installed again and it seemed to be OK -- apparently not!

Michael

Last edited: Jun 22, 2006
  14. mmurray

mmurray Member

In case there is an XP guru out there here is the error which occurs while the InstallShield Wizard is running. It has Parallels Tools at the top of the window:

An error (-5009:0x800706ba) has occured while running the setup.

Please make sure you have finished any previous setup and closed other applications. If the
    errorstill occurs, please contact your vendor: [www.parallels.com]

Error Code: -5009:0x800706ba
    Error Information
    >Ctor\ObjectWrapper.cpp[396]
    >Kernel\Component.cpp[1161]
    >Kernel\CABFile.coo[384]
    >SetupDLL\SetupDLL.cpp[1708]
    PAPP:parallels Tools
    PVENDOR:[www.parallels.com]
    PGUID:[my Parallels activation code here]
    $10.50.0132PAK
    @WindowsXP Service Pack 2[2600]IE 6.0.2900.2180

I have sent it to response@parallels.com

Thanks - Michael

15. mmurray

mmurray Member

OK I gave up and did a reinstall of XP then the tools. 30 second boot time now. I can live wtih that.

Thanks for all the comments.

Michael

16. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Reducing memory for VM also will reduce boot time. IMO 1G is too much for VM - 256M or 512M usually is more than enough.

17. mmurray

mmurray Member

Thanks Andrew.

I have to say this is great sofware. I can now run Linux and XP at the same time in separate windows. Not sure why I would want to do this ... :) but it's neat.

Michael

18. mcornes

mcornes Junior Member

Boot time stall

Hello, I've been on all the beta version and now have a propper real key. I set up my XP Pro install with Napster and MS Access, pretty much at the get go. I once expanded the disk size using some amazing instructions I found on here.

I don't think I'm on a dynamic sized drive, if someone would point me in the direction of this information I'll check

My boot time is pretty lousy, given that some are saying 30 seconds, mine must be 1-2 minutes. Also during boot, it gets to a full light blue, not BSOD, windows screen and sits for maybe 20+ seconds

If anyone can please advise things to check I'd be super greatful, especially if it doesn't mean re-installing windows on Parallels Desktop ?

I'm on a 15" MBP with 1 gig of RAM, more on order - with the maximum recomended in Parallels given over to the VM

Thanks

M

19. Sheppy

Sheppy Hunter

My boot time is fast enough that I can start it up, look away, and be startled by the Windows startup chime because it always happens a lot sooner than it ever did on my 2.6 GHz P4 machine.