Problems with Parallels Compressor on XP

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Menace, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Menace

Menace Bit poster

I am using Parallels Destop 4 (en_US-4.0.3810.237520) and when I use the Parallels Compressor during the process
    a windows popup window tells me that there`s not enough virtual memory and the page/swap file has to get larger (or Windows is making it larger).

When the Parallels Compressor has finished then everytime I start windows the same popup window appears after a minute or so.

I installed Windows again and tested it and I can say for sure that Parallels Compressor is causing this problem.

I also noticed that the process of Parallels Compressor became worse. Sometimes there will be no information window that the process is over and also Windows freezed totally.

I hope it get fixed soon because I was used to compress my Windows to save space on my HD without harming my Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 3.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  2. Peter Canasius J L

Peter Canasius J L Forum Maven

1) Open Parallels Desktop
    2) Log in to Windows Operating System.
    3) Click on Start on the left hand bottom and click on Control Panel.
    4) Click on Security Center and turn off Windows Firewall and anti virus.
    5) On the Windows Desktop right hand bottom corner, next to the clock and volume icons check if you have Parallel Internet security ( Kaspersky ). If you find it then do a right click and disable it.
    6) Click on Control Panel.
    7) Click on Add or remove Programs.
    8) Check if you find Parallel tools in this list. If yes then remove it. If not then go to step 9.
    9) On the Menu bar click on Virtual machine.
    10) Click on install Parallel tools.
    11) Click on Continue and proceed with the installation.
    12) This is a time consuming process so keep a check if you get the confirmation message that " Parallel tools are successfully installed."
    13) Restart the Windows Operating System.

Then run the Parallels Compressor. Check if it works fine.

3. Menace

Menace Bit poster

I did not help although I have followed the 13 steps above.
    I am glad a made a backup of my XP before and I hope this bug gets fixed soon.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  4. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

not enough virtual memory
    This error may be caused by:
    1. Low memory for Vm
    2, not enough disk space
    3. Virus infection
    4. antivirus heuristic prediction is set to high

5. Menace

Menace Bit poster

1. VM memory is set to optimal size: 512 MB
    2. Disk space: 27,4 GB are free of 31,9 GB
    3. It`s a 3-day-old fresh installation of Original Windows XP Home Edition. I have only Service Pack 3, AVG 8 Free Edition, Zone Alarm and Windows Updates installed, yet. I did no other Internet surfing - so there was no chance for a virus, yet. It also happened during another test where I only had Kaspersky Internet Security installed on a fresh XP.
    4. Zone Alarm, Windows Firewall and AVG were turned off during the run of Parallels Compressor.

I never had such problems before (even with lower disk space and with all of my programs installed).

Please get this bug fixed soon. Thanks.

BTW, I found out that during the defragmentation process of Paralles Compressor the page file shrinks to 50 MB and then the popup window comes up. Maybe that`s the wrong behavior here.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  6. John@Parallels

Zone Alarm, Windows Firewall and AVG
    Uninstall them (except Windows Firewall) - this is the case of low memory

7. Menace

Menace Bit poster

Parallels Compressor used to work fine before - even with AVG and Zone Alarm installed.

I also wrote before that this bug also happened only with Kaspersky (without ZA & AVG) installed on a fresh XP.

So will this bug be fixed in a future update?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  8. John@Parallels

9. Menace

Menace Bit poster

No, it doesn`t help because

- this problem started with Parallels Desktop for Mac 4.0
    - if Parallels offers the chance to install Kaspersky within the program it should be 100% compatible (without the need to uninstall it afterwards)
    - if Parallels Compressor either have problems with Zone Alarm or Kaspersky then Parallels Compressor needs to be adjusted in the next update

10. John@Parallels

I will submit the case, but just for clarification:
    1. I need report ID from Parallels Desktop - Help -Report a Problem
    2. We only ship Kaspersky - not zone Alarm
    3. Parallels Internet Security already includes firewall, 2 firewall may conlict

11. Menace

Menace Bit poster

1. Report ID: 49943
    2. again: if Parallels offers the chance to install Kaspersky within the program it should be 100% compatible (without the need to uninstall it afterwards)
    3. I never wrote I had both Zona Alarm and Kaspersky installed at the same time. The problem even occurs only with Kaspersky and nothing else installed.

12. John@Parallels

Thank you, submitted

13. Ephra

Ephra Member

exactly same prob here...

edit

Just run my backed up VM through parallels compressor, did all those 13 steps. Seemed to work very fine, testing for half an hour, but then -just after re-installing AVG (I removed it), the window popped up again. And is still poping up, whatever I do, it doesn't respond on changing the virtual memory in the system panel.

I also never had problems before using AVG. (and its absolutely the lightest anti-virus prog there is; perfect for a small 32 G virtual windows)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  14. Ephra

Ephra Member

compressor corrupts swap file

..it is not like it's a new issue: http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=22136
    solution here is to delete the Swap file which compressor has corrupted.
    Have not tried it but I will.

edit: yes this solves it -no popup window anymore and it increases performence VM in my experience.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  15. Menace

Menace Bit poster

It`s strange John didn`t confirm my problem here in first place. It`s a known bug since a half year already.

16. Ephra

Ephra Member

well, yeah, but they got a loooooooooot of probs to solve :)

...solution as I described above is the good one though.

17. John@Parallels

I just submitted the case, and we contacted Kaspersky, they will check situation

18. Menace

Menace Bit poster

I can`t believe the last comment.

It has nothing to do with Kaspersky.

19. Ephra

Ephra Member

yes, I agree: it has absolutely nothing tot do with Kaspersky. John, please read the posts above; the swap file gets corrupted by Compressor.

20. John@Parallels

Sorry, we are misspelling here, the thread is started about Kaspersky and zone alarm causing memory leak

Ephra
    Join: Nov 2007
    exactly same prob here...
    So, I am guessing the same configuration Kaspersky and Zone Alarm

Or probably new thread with detailed explanation?