Custom software question

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Stam, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Stam

Stam Bit poster

I'm currently running some custom PC-based software, written as a sort of overlay on Microsoft Office. It's built mainly on MS Access, but also shares a fair bit of integration with Word (merges) and Excel (tracking bank accounts).

I've been rather dissatisfied with my PC's performance lately and have considered moving to Apple, but still need to run this software for work (as well as IE).

I'd want to use Parallel's Desktop to run it, but am unsure if I'd need to use a PC-copy of Office or if I'd be able to get the program to talk with Mac OS X's Office version. The writer of the software, of course, tells me that he would not support any issues that arose as a result.

Does anyone have any experience with anything similar?

2. bartho

bartho Member

In my opinion, it's VERY unlikely that you should get such a thing working without Office running in Windows. Mac and Windows versions of Office are very different products, for example, there is no Access in the former.

However, setting up a Windows environment with Office within your Parallels VM will probably work perfectly fine, and since it's just like running Windows on a standalone computer, the guy who wrote the software you're using should support it.

Finally, if all else fails you can always install BootCamp and enjoy your new, very expensive "PC" :)

Good luck!