Shared Folders not a good solution?????

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Robster, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Robster

Robster Hunter

Hi

In VPC when I set up shared folders they were allocated to a disk letter.

This meant they were available from anywhere and everywhere within VPC including open/save dialog box's.

Maybe its me but when I try to open a document in a shared folder or save to it I cannot FIND THEM in the open/save dialog box.

Am I doing something wrong????????

Cheers.

Robin

2. Sheppy

Sheppy Hunter

I've found that starting with RC2, it's actually much more reliable to use Windows networking to connect to my Mac and transfer files using file sharing, instead of using shared folders.

3. Robster

Robster Hunter

I cannot figure out how to do this, can you explain please?

Cheers.

Robin

4. Sheppy

Sheppy Hunter

Well, if I turn on Windows Sharing in the Mac's "Sharing" preference panel, I can then access my Mac just like any Windows file share, by opening "My Network Places", then "Entire Network", "Microsoft Windows Network," then the workgroup. You should then see your mac on the list.

This will let you open and access user directories from your Mac in Windows.

5. Robster

Robster Hunter

Tried that thanks.

Cannot see my Mac anywhere. :(

Robin

6. Robster

Robster Hunter

Forget that.

Found it ta.

Many thanks.

Robin

7. It actually works quite well for me. But the location is fairly hidden if you try to find it directly. I allowed it to put an alias on the Desktop so can always find the shared folder that way.

8. Sheppy

Sheppy Hunter

I've had trouble with strange errors from Windows using the shared folder, or having files disappear, so I switched to using networking.

9. DrFix

DrFix Junior Member

Files in the shared folder, for me at least, ended up with a file date stamp of December 31, 1969. And this was even after following advice here to uninstal and reinstal the tools. I'm going to try the networking angle and see what happens.

10. MicroDev

MicroDev Hunter

This will only work if the Mac can register it's host name with the DNS. Otherwise you won't be able to resolve the Mac's name or browse it in the guest using NetBIOS.

To use the network share method (without an open DNS registration), you need to get the IP address of the Mac side. There are several ways to do this, here is one easy way:

1) Open Utilities -> Network Utility
    2) Select the adapter you are using in the (en0 is wired Ethernet, en1 is wireless)
    3) Note the IP address you see (e.g., 192.168.100.23)
    4) Go to the guest OS and choose Start -> Run...
    5) Enter "\\<the IP address>" (e.g., \\192.168.100.23)

Because the IP address can change (assuming DHCP from a router or something similar), you'll have to do this each time you start up parallels. If you map to a drive letter (Tools -> Map Network Drive...) and the IP changes, the map will no longer be valid.

11. scottmcdaniel

scottmcdaniel Junior Member

12. mcg

mcg Hunter

By the way, if you're running host-only networking, and your Parallels host-guest adapter is "en2", then the following two lines added to the "global" section of your /etc/smb.conf file should make sure that your SMB service is seen only by your Parallels guest and not by the outside world:

bind interfaces only = yes
    interfaces = en2

If you ask me this is a must-do. As OSX warns you when you fire up Windows File Sharing, SMB passwords are stored less securely than OSX native passwords. Plus, who knows what vulnerabilities remain in OSX's samba software. So it seems like a good idea to me not to expose your use of SMB to the outside world.

13. MicroDev

MicroDev Hunter

I used bridged networking (have to) but decided to work the firewall instead of Samba to solve this problem. I altered the firewall to only allow SMB traffic that originated from the XP guest OS. Otherwise, the response is stealthed and the outside world get's no reply. Take a look at this whitepaper and let me know what you think. There are still holes to close but it seems to be fairly solid.

You can find the white paper here:
    http://www.microdeveloper.com/html/parallels/share_howto/index.html

14. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<