Share files securely with linux guest

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by serials, Jun 25, 2006.

1. serials

serials Bit poster

Hi

Does anybody know how to share files on a macbook with a linux guest (ubuntu, for example), securely - without opening up your mac to the world. I know that I can turn on SMB file sharing (called Windows File Sharing in network preferences) and I know that I can create a new restricted account on the mac to host the share, but the SMB service will still be exposed externally. I want to do this internally, so only the guest can access the share. Any ideas?

2. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Both Linux and OS X have native support for NFS. No need to drag in an alien protocol like smb. Bot also have firewalls to limit access to just the systems you choose.

dp

3. milomindrbindr

milomindrbindr Bit poster

I'm equally curious about this as I can see my Mac hard drive, but cannot access it. It tells me that there are no files on the share.

4. hansderycke

hansderycke Member

If that is the case (and I don't doubt it is), how do I access files on the Mac from Ubuntu? I tried the file browser, but the only places I have are [user] ("hans", in my case), Desktop, and File System. None of these seem to give me access to the Mac side of things. Is there something I need to set up?

Thanks,
    Hans.