Interesting performance

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by topshot, Jun 22, 2006.

1. topshot

topshot Bit poster

Hi All. This is my first post here but I wanted to let you all know about something I thought was interesting about playing media files in parallels and Mac os x.

My test was this: I downloaded a quicktime HD Video in both 480p and 720p from the apple website and ran them in parallels windows on my intel Mac Mini just to see what would happen. Impressively they both ran, but the 720 was starting to get jerky. The 480p however ran really well which I was supprised about. So, I thought I'd give it a go with those HD WMV files that are compressed in an EXE file (probably to prevent us mac users from downloading them). So I downloaded the 720p file and ran it. It didn't run too well but the sound was continuous and the screen was updating, all-be-it jerkily. Still, not bad considering that I am running it in parallels.

So, I thought I would try the same WMV file in Mac OS X (Since I now had it decompressed) by copying it over using my shared parallels folder. I was using the beta version of Filp4Mac universal version so it should be running natively, yet the video performed sooooo badly! Sound badly jumping, video hardly playing (maybe a frame every 2 seconds). This performance considering that I was running in what should be a far faster system compared to what parallels is.

Anyway, would anyone else care to perhaps shed some light? Maybe it's just because flip4mac is in beta and not fully optimised.

2. evamedia

evamedia Bit poster

flip4mac is not a universal binary yet (I think) maybe that's the issue

3. topshot

topshot Bit poster

I downloaded the beta which is universal.

4. angstmann

angstmann Bit poster

I have noticed really really bad problems playing back different types of WMV file using Flip 4 Mac beta. Exactly as you deascribe in fact. You cant even call it video! Its not even a slideshow! I guess thats what betas are for! I am looking forward to it when it is fixed!

5. rvanderveer

rvanderveer Bit poster

It should be noted that Flip4mac on intel-Macs is very much in beta, and they are perfectly aware of the issue. This first round, they were focused on just getting it up and running on intel, and hunt for bugs (hence the beta). Performance will come later. You can read about it on their forums:

http://www.flip4mac.com/fusetalk/forum/

Video's that used to play perfectly on my G5 iMac barely play at all on my intel-iMac. Don't worry, it'll get better...