Activating XP after installing into Parallels

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by esherman, Apr 8, 2006.

1. esherman

esherman Bit poster

Hello,
    If I activate my copy of XP, will I be able to reactivate it when the final version comes out and I do a reinstall.

Also, the VT-x issue is wierd. Last night mine did not work. Today, it works.

Thanks for any suggestions. This is one program I can't wait to purchase.

Erik Sherman

2. dhjdhj

dhjdhj Hunter

If you can't (which I suppose would only happen if the final version looks so different that Microsoft thinks it's a different machine), you can call the Microsoft number that shows up on that Activation screen and they'll give you a new (42-digit, sigh) number to allow activation to work.
    D

3. TheLorax

TheLorax Bit poster

Along these same lines ... I assume I can't activate Windows XP in Parallels and in Boot Camp on the same machine? I would need two licenses? Regardless of the fact that it's the same machine, and can't be run concurrently?

Thanks in advance.

4. constant

constant Forum Maven

You can always give it a go. A little bravado can achieve results here.

5. simon

simon Member

Yup, I'm afraid so.
    This is also the reason why it will not be easy to supporting booting from a Bootcamp partition.
    I just removed my boot camp totally in favor of Parallels.
    I already had to call Microsoft once to get a new key, this will be my second time and it's all still on the same hardware.

These keys are annoying. I'm going to have to call for a THIRD time because my MacBook is failing (display issues) and Apple are sending me a replacement, once it arrives I'll copy everthing over ... I dare say Windows will barf because the hardware will look different again.