Allow Mac to auto-sleep when Parallels running?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by mcbuckeye, Jun 28, 2006.

1. mcbuckeye

mcbuckeye Junior Member

I searched the forums and found a few threads on sleep issues, but they seemed to relate to problems even with Parallels not running. This only relates to a VM running preventing sleep.

Basically, if I have a virtual machine running (Windows XP) in Parallels, my Mac will not go to sleep as scheduled in Energy Saver.

If I shut down Windows, even if Parallels is running, but no VM running, the Mac will sleep as scheduled.

I can force sleep by closing the lid on my MacBook Pro or going to Apple>Sleep with no problems, but Energy Saver-induced timed sleep won't work with a VM running.

Does anyone know how to make the Mac go to sleep?

Thanks!

2. mcbuckeye

mcbuckeye Junior Member

follow-up

Does anyone have a MacBook Pro that will go to sleep after the timeout with a VM running in Parallels? Other macs that will?

3. frlovely

frlovely Bit poster

I had same problem before. Mac didn't go sleep and other functions such as dash board and other App doesn't work properly. Just try System Preferences > sharing > under services > check off windows sharing.

Everything will be fine. :)

4. mcbuckeye

mcbuckeye Junior Member

Thanks for the tip. I tried it, but it still doesn't sleep. I even turned off network support in Parallels before starting up Win XP, but the Mac still won't sleep.

Basically, if Windows is running in the VM, the Mac won't sleep based on the timeout. Again, if I have Parallels running, but not the VM/Win, it sleeps fine.

Any other suggestions?

5. mcbuckeye

mcbuckeye Junior Member

Bump. Still wondering if many other people are having this problem...

Mac won't sleep as long as Win XP is running in a VM.

Help!

6. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

If the Mac goes to sleep doesn't that imply the VM will also sleep? Except in the case of the VM, it is knocked out cold with no warning, no? Depending on what it was doing at that moment I think it could have a corrupting effect on any running VM''s for the host os to nod off. I may be wrong, but this seems like poor policy to yank the host out from under the guest that way.

It reminds me of a joke: 'I want to die quietly in my sleep like my grandfather. Not screaming, like the passengers in his car'.

dp

7. mcbuckeye

mcbuckeye Junior Member

It seems to work fine when I "force" sleep from the Apple > Sleep menu item.

It just won't sleep after the timeout. I assume that when the Mac sleeps, it just seems like a very long pause to the VM in Parallels. As soon as the Mac wakes, the VM starts processing again.

In any case, are any of you able to have your Mac sleep while Win XP is running in Parallels?

I'm surprised not many people have been able to tell me whether or not this works for you. It seems like a pretty fundamental thing.

8. rpetges

rpetges Member

This had been implemented initially in all betas and RC's but caused lot of problems in the way that Parallels Desktop completely freezed and had to been killed.

They removed this feature in the final release but I'm sure it will come back once they find a solution.

Romain

9. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

If it doesn't matter that the guest OS is running then suspend it. With it doing nothing at that point you may find OS X can nod off.

dp