Release version fails to launch XP

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by CDN, Jun 16, 2006.

1. CDN

CDN Junior Member

I'm getting this error every time:
    "Parallels Desktop experience problem when trying to allocate physical memory. Please restart the application." (sic)

What does this mean? Is there any action I can take to solve this?

2. joem

joem Forum Maven

Are you shutting down and restarting Parallels? Did you reboot your Mac after installing the new release? I've seen that message, and restarting Parallels has fixed it for me.

3. CDN

CDN Junior Member

kept happening after several restarts, then stopped....

4. Hamletlere

Hamletlere Bit poster

Physical Memory

I am encountering this problem with the release version of Parallels Desktop. I have a 17" MacBook Pro with 2GB of RAM, and encounter this problem periodically when running two virtual PCs with 512MB of RAM allocated to each. In theory, I should have more than enough memory to handle that load.

On one occasion, only one virtual machine was shut down (an Ubuntu Linux installation that was doing a lot of disk activity at the time). Today, both the Linux (again, a lot of disk/network activity) and my Windows XP virtual machines shut down with the error.

Is there some reason Parallels doesn't pre-allocate the required memory for each virtual machine (or is that even really the problem?).

5. bartho

bartho Member

You have Preferences --> Memory --> Reserved memory limit set to at least 1 GB then, right?

6. Hamletlere

Hamletlere Bit poster

Yes, the reserved memory limit is set to 1024MB.

7. palter

palter Hunter

According to a post elsewhere in this forum, you should reserve at least 10% more memory in the global preference than the sum of memory used by all the VM's you plan to run simultaneously. So, you should reserve at least 1126MB for Parallels.