Launch a host OS app from Guest OS

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by robert.winder, Jun 28, 2006.

1. robert.winder

robert.winder Bit poster

Hi, does anyone know how to launch an application in the host OS from the guest OS?

For example, I would like to use my Safari browser by default instead of WinXP IE. So, when I click on a link in an email it would launch Safari and goto the page link instead of launching WinXP IE and going to the page there.

Thanks

robert

2. joem

joem Forum Maven

The whole point of a virtual machine is that it's isolated from the host and the VM can't damage the host. What you are asking for punches a huge hole in security, and if they ever do implement it, I sure hope it's an option I can turn off.

3. mcg

mcg Hunter

I agree, I'd certainly like to turn it off, too---but only after I experiment with it :) It sounds, actually, like a very interesting idea. And if done right it might be no less secure than the clipboard synchronization feature. For me, however, the biggest reason I wouldn't use it is that there are times that I need to follow links or browse the web within the guest itself---for example, when it's time to upgrade my firewall software.

4. robert.winder

robert.winder Bit poster

Right, thanks for both your comments. I understand some may have a problem with the security aspects, personally I don't have a problem with it.

Maybe we could expect to have a kind of "right-click" option that will open a link using a browser in the host os or some such implementation.

Moderator... will you pick this up as a feature request or do I need to do something else?

Robert

5. mmak

mmak Member

Feasible, but the solution is not elegant.
    Using smb sharing, I set up a folder on the mac that is accessible from windows.
    Attached a folder action script to it that would open a file placed in it. If it is a link, it opens in safari
    Place a link (ie alias) to that folder in the windows start bar (whatever they call it)
    Drag links onto the folder icon and voila, they open in Safari.

I can post the script if you wish

6. robert.winder

robert.winder Bit poster

Hi mmak,

Very creative of you! If you could share the script/more details that would be great.
    Thanks
    Robert

7. mmak

mmak Member

Make sure you create a shared folder and attach the script to it in folder actions. Here is the script. Just copy and paste in script editor. Save as a script (name it OpenURL for example) in /Library/scripts/Folder Action Scripts. You will have to manually clean up the folder. Use at your own risk.

--Begin script
    on adding folder items to this_folder after receiving these_items
    tell application "Finder"
    try
    repeat with i from 1 to number of items in these_items
    set this_item to item i of these_items
    open this_item
    end repeat
    end try
    end tell
    end adding folder items to

Last edited: Jun 30, 2006