HELP hd was 8gb, increased to 50gb, not recognized!!

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Shari.sld, Jul 1, 2006.

1. Shari.sld

Shari.sld Member

I'm a total non techie - hate windoze - mac since 1985 - but all accounting software runs only on windoze.

I started with 8gb - installed MS office 7 (beta), MYOB, QB2006 Accountants version. Started getting no space errors - can't even save any files.

Used Parallels utility and increased hd to 50,000mb but it is still only being seen as 8gb?

What did I do wrong? Any help or assistance would be much appreciated from the Windoze experts.

Please keep in mind that I have no experience in dealing with WinXP Pro - so any solutions would be appreciated that included as much detail as possible.

Thanx for help.

ShariD

2. Robster

Robster Hunter

Go to the BOTTOM of this thread.

All you need is there.

Robin

3. Shari.sld

Shari.sld Member

Which thread?

4. Larry__Rymal

Larry__Rymal Member

5. Shari.sld

Shari.sld Member

Ok - that thread series makes no sense at all to me - looks like greek and using dos commands?

An interpretation in non techie would be great - but even then if I go to last post as indicated by Robster it doesn't seem to answer Q!?

I have printed out and followed the procedure as described by parallels - so what am I missing? Maybe the better question is what is parallels and the documentation missing?

Seems everyone assumes that only windoze techies will be using this software - but with the current spotlight on this software in the apple commercials, a lot of non techie people will begin using.

Again - any help would be appreciated. At this point I can't complete clients accounting work for the quarter ended because of this issue.

Thanx from the stupid newbie in windoze!

Shari

6. Mark

Mark Member

Shari, the problem is that Windows does not automatically recognize the resized disk. The commands that you saw in the other thread are one way of resizing it. Another way is to buy a copy of Partition Magic, which is a program that will resize the disk. It's easy to use.

7. Shari.sld

Shari.sld Member

That seems silly - from what parallels says in its literature, the solution they provide should take care if it.

How much is this software?

Am I just better off starting all over again and setting up the VM as like a 100 gog expanding disk and never worry agaom about this issue?

Thanx

8. mikeshappell

mikeshappell Member

These instructions from the thread don't use DOS commands or require commercial software...

From batman with some modification by me:

1) Download the live cd from http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php
    2) Boot your VM from the live cd iso (connect the ISO to the VM CD drive)
    3) Select default values until gpartd starts
    4) Select partition to resize
    5) Resize and apply (change the space remaining to zero to use all space)
    6) Click the close box in the upper right corner to close resize application.
    7) Disconnect ISO from the VM so that it won't reboot from that disc.
    8) On blank desktop right click and choose to reboot.

Windows should run chkdsk automatically and then reboot.

When Windows comes back up it will detect the "new" drive and reboot again.

9. Larry__Rymal

Larry__Rymal Member

Well.... hmmmm. You are in the Windows world now. You have got to make friends with DOS once in a while either now or in the future.

If you will slow down a bit and read all the messages in that thread, I'm convinced you'll find your solution. Parallels has done a marvelous job in getting us to the Dark Side, but what will be required now that we are in, is that we have to adjust and tweak using Windows and DOS tools.

You'll see several messages from me in that thread. The resizing to fit the image works perfectly, without any loss of data. I find that awesome. But, you have to play with DOS to get this to work.

Parallels provides the way to increase the size, but DOS has to be reconfigured to fit the image. Or is it visa versa? Anyway, if I can do this, anyone can.

10. joem

joem Forum Maven

If all else fails, you can always create a new .hdd file, attach it to your VM and put all your data there, or worst case, start over with a bigger .hdd.

The unfortunate reality is that it just isn't simple, and wanting it to be easy doesn't help. If it did, I would be able to play the piano well.

You (in the global sense of you) can increase the drive size. I did it and that proves it can be done, but it is complicated, and so is playing the piano or flying an airplane.

11. Shari.sld

Shari.sld Member

Was doing OK then hit this glitch........

got to here with no problems.....
    Now I'm looking at a page that says Gnome Partition Editor

What do I do to get from this window to disconnect from the VM, as
    described in step#7?

7) Disconnect ISO from the VM so that it won't reboot from that disc.

After I disconnect ths ISO from the VM, how do I get to the
    blank desktop described in step#8?

8) On blank desktop right click and choose to reboot.
    What am I right-clicking on?

Windows should run chkdsk automatically and then reboot.
    what is chkdsk?

When Windows comes back up it will detect the "new" drive and reboot again.

Thanx for your all your help and being patient with me!

ShariD

12. joem

joem Forum Maven

Click on the CD icon in the lower right corner of the Parallels (not guest) window and select disconnect.

Actually, when everything has settled down, you can just power down the VM, rearrange the disk devices the way they were, and restart it. This would combine steps 7 and 8 and be much easier.

13. Shari.sld

Shari.sld Member

Operation Successfully Completed

JoeM,

You rock!!!

Thanx for all the hand holding and detailed instructions - it was helpful and put in all the missing details from the original post.

ShariD

14. redwoodtree

redwoodtree Bit poster

Thank you, this worked like a charm. Not as scary as it sounds, really.

For the paranoid or those with valuable data, simply backup your image, no big deal. If you don't need it, you can throw it out.

THANKS AGAIN!

15. rishevan

rishevan Bit poster

Maybe someone could help me out - when using livecd to resize the hdd I got an error message and assumed it didnt work. Re-booted livecd and it listed my hdd as 8gb - the size I was trying to change it to when I got the error message (my original hdd size was 4gb). Even more confusing is that it says that over 7gb are used already! When booting into windows xp of course it still lists the hdd size as 4gb.

Any ideas / solutions would be greatly appreciated! Even guesses. :)

Much thanks,
    Rich Smith

16. rishevan

rishevan Bit poster