Windows XP max recommened RAM too low ?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by kothrush, Jun 22, 2006.

1. kothrush

kothrush Bit poster

I have installed windows XP in paralllels on Macbook with 2GB RAM. In my memory configuration, it says maximum recommended RAM is 132MB ! Why so ? I have 2GB RAM in Macbook and parallels can definitely use more than 132 to speed up XP. :confused:

If I manually change memory size to more than recommened it actually slows down virutal machine by very small amount i think. What determines the recommened memory size ? Why is it this low when i have 2GB installed ? Thanks.

2. chrismasto

chrismasto Member

You have to increase the reserved memory limit in the main Parallels application preferences.

3. kothrush

kothrush Bit poster

Thanks. That worked ! Is there a rule of thumb for how much memory to assign to parallel for good performance ? I have currenly assigned 768MB to parallel , have total 2GB installed.

This helped. Thanks for quick reply.

4. GrizzlyAdams

GrizzlyAdams Member

I allocated 1024Mb of my 2Gb total to Parallels itself and 932Mb to my XP virtual machine. Everything seems to work snappy in both OSes for me.

I just upgraded today from 1Gb total system RAM and man it was a night and day difference for sure.

I'm not sure about a "recommended RAM size" because I think it depends upon the user, his machine and exactly what he intends to run in both OSes.

5. bmoeskau

bmoeskau Junior Member

Thanks!

Exactly what I was looking for! I upgraded to 2Gb of RAM and couldn't figure out why my VM was still stuck at 600Mb. Thanks!