Vista ACPI Support

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by MacMini, Jun 20, 2006.

1. MacMini

MacMini Bit poster

Now that the release version of Prallels for mac is officially out, can we install the latest beta of vista on it? Does parallel now have acpi support?

Thanks! :)

MacMini

2. nivenh

nivenh Member

it doesn't have ACPI support. its coming in a later version.

3. MacMini

MacMini Bit poster

ACPI Support for Vista

Hmmm, that's the same response I read quite some time ago -- when the RC beta version of Parallels was making his rounds... oh well ---

Thanks

4. VTMac

VTMac Pro

You misread the original post. Paralllels have always said it would be included in the next FULL release, not the next release of the current version.

Out of curiosity, why do you want to run Vista? I can't figure out why someone would want to run it in Parallels, unless perhaps you're developing or testing for it. Other than that, most of the best new features (like Aero) will not work in Parallels, and you'll essentially be running the latest service pack of XP.

5. leoniloilo

leoniloilo Bit poster

I did this in VMWare to install Vista (beta 2 - build 5384):

1) Start with a fresh Win XP install.
    2) Then from within XP, install Vista.
    3) Choose for a new install.

This worked in VMWare.
    Since Parallels works very much like VMWare, it should work in Parallels too.
    But i did not test it so far.

Vista has a complete different boot procedure compared to XP.

6. celendis

celendis Junior Member

The flaw in this logic is that VMWare has ACPI BIOS emulation. Parallels does not.

Thus the no workie. =)

7. y3k

y3k Junior Member

I would also love to look at Vista in Parallels. And it's not the fact that FX won't work, just a question to the video component of Parallel Tools. I guess there would be some new version of Parallel tools for Vista? Including emulation of some good video card?

Vista without FX is not essentially the latest pack of XP. As they have changed the boot procedure, the whole system is actually something different then Windows XP and the previous versions. Workflow is different, everything's different. I would say it makes a GREAT SENSE to take a look of Vista (as any other OS) using such a great tool as Parallels before taking decision to install it on some physical machine.