USB devices and "Windows side vs. Mac side"

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Kupe, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Kupe

Kupe Member

Hey gang-

I've noticed that if Parallels Desktop is running, any device plugged into the Mac gets "grabbed" by the Windows side and is not seen or recognized on the Mac Desktop. For example, if I plug my iPod Shuffle into my MacBook while Parallels is running, it is only seen on my Windows Desktop. iTunes on the Mac side does not see it and can't access it. If I quit Parallels, everything returns to normal.

Same with a USB Flash drive- it gets grabbed by Windows. In fact- it isn't only USB devices. I also found that if I insert a CD or DVD while Parallels is running, it is only seen on the Windows side. Again, quitting Parallels is the (slow and annoying) workaround.

Any other way to "toggle" which Desktop a new device goes to?

Thanks!

Dave

Last edited: Jul 3, 2006
  2. Kupe

Kupe Member

Awww 'comeon gang. Someone throw me a bone here! ;) This problem is exasperating!

Thanks!

Dave

3. hairyneanderthal

hairyneanderthal Member

as long as you are not in full screen most you should be able to turn devices off and on using the Parallels/Devices/USB menu I believe...

4. RickMaddy

RickMaddy Member

Do a forum search. This has been answered many times already.

Rck

5. Kupe

Kupe Member

Sheesh Rick- give me a little credit! ;) Of course I searched the forum first. And simply didn't see the topic discussed.

Thanks again for your help,

Dave

6. RickMaddy

RickMaddy Member

Sorry - I meant my suggestion as a serious one, not a smart-ass RTFM ;)

Do a search on posts by me with the word 'mount'.

This topic belongs in a FAQ.

Enjoy.