Parallels -- can't get internet access

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Argelius, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Argelius

Argelius Junior Member

I have successfully installed Parallels and Windows XP on my MacBook.
    Initially I was able to gain internet access via IE. Now, for reasons I don't understand (i.e. I'm not aware of changing any settings), I can no longer get onto the 'net.

In Paralles "NetworK Adapter", bridged Ethernet/airport wireless is listed as being connected.

Any suggestions?

2. Rick Evans

Rick Evans Bit poster

Getting Internet Access with Windows XP on a Mac

First time on the forum and can't find anyone that has an answer to why so many people can't connect to the internet

Several posts from different people but no answers.
    Sent emails to support and have not got an answer :(

Help someone!

Thanks.

3. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

It is helpful to know what you have done to help yourself:

Are you using DHCP or manually assigned network params?
    Did you verify your IP data by opening a command line terminal and typing ipconfig /all (assuming Windows)? If you did, did the information it returned appear valid?

Of particular importance:

Default route must be defined
    IP must be defined and should be different than the host OS's IP
    Name server(s) must be defined

Run a ping command using your default route as a target
    Run a ping command using your host OS's IP as a target
    Run a ping command against some external IP such as 66.197.23.53 (parallels.com)

Open the network object in the control panel (again assuming Windows) and explore the tcp/ip properties and ensure they are correct.

Parallels does not have a brain - use your own.

Discuss what you find.

dp

4. ambient1

ambient1 Bit poster

Ok, well I'm having the same problem.

I installed Win2K on my MBP a few days ago and everything was fine. Today, I couldn't connect to the Internet, so I checked the settings.

I am set up using Bridged networking with the default adapter. I have changed the settings to try and force using ethernet/airport without any success.

I have tried pinging the host ip address, and that works fine, anything else does not work.

Here's the weird part - my guest os gets an IP address using DHCP without any problems. So somewhere there is communication with the "outside" network. The settings are correct, and list the correct nameservers, gateway etc...

Thinking it may be a problem with Win2k, I installed Ubuntu and it has the same problems.

Thanks,

Bob.

5. tboney

tboney Bit poster

re

Same stuff here. Three VM's working fine. Then I bring the macbook to work and no net access for any VM. Of course OS X works fine. I've triple checked settings, rebooted VM's... nothing works. This is frustrating.

6. Fatfish

Fatfish Junior Member

Same here, one thought though, I'm now running OSX 10.4.7

In general this is fairly dissapointing, I have a reasonable knowledge of networking and setting up additional macs on my network, but I am completely lost as to why i can't get things to work with the VM.

The average Joe, will not understand command line code and should not be expected to even go there, this is not what I expected either.

7. Robster

Robster Hunter

It does work I promise!!!!!!!!!!

I have the full release version installed on a MacBook Pro running Windows XP SP2.

I succesfully (touches wood) move this machine between work and home, also between wired connect at home and Airport without any real issues and without rebooting either the machine OR the VM.

I am set to Bridged Ethernet; Default Adapter and using DHCP.

I sometimes have to wait a minute or so after waking the VM for it to grab a new DHCP IP address but otherwise functions flawlessly.

I vaugely recollect some issues when I first got Parallels which I think turned out to be a DNS setup issue on my Router, for some reason my Mac had managed to resolve a new DNS and was working but the PC was using the DNS setup i my Router and BT told me it was out of date and incorrect.

If you can ping the ip address of something like www.bbc.co.uk from the VM then you ARE connected and DNS is more likely to be the issue.

Robin

8. joem

joem Forum Maven

Hints Restated

This has all been said before, but since folks are still having trouble, here it is again:
    Some DHCP servers have quirks. To make sure your VM works with as many of them as possible, make sure of two things:

1) Your VM and your Mac should have different names, and to be completely safe, should differ in the first eight characters by something other than case and should not contain spaces.

2) If you are using wireless (Airport) the VM's hardware MAC (Media Access Control, not Macintosh) address needs to be different from the OSX MAC address. To change this, edit your VM. Go to Network Adapter, then advanced, and change the MAC address. Note that MAC addresses must be unique on your network. Note too, that some wireless access points need to know your MAC address in advance or they won't let you in.

Note to Parallesl Team: You might consider, in your spare time <grin>, obtaining a MAC prefix of your own, and substituting it for the hardware prefix you find on the Macintosh. This will at least solve the problem for one VM running at a time. Permuting the last digit will further reduce the likelihood of a collision, probably to something you can manage with support.

9. n9yty

n9yty Member

I'm convinced that the 10.4.7 update screwed something up for Parallels... Up until that point, I could go home and back to work without issues (airport v ethernet), and now even quitting paralells, setting it specifically to the right adapter, etc., do not work. I reboot MacOS and it magically works until I change network interfaces again. Methinks something in their kext is not working right with 10.4.7.

10. joem

joem Forum Maven

They recommend using the default network interface setting. In theory, when OSX connects to the new network, Parallels will too. I have no experimental data to back tis up though.

11. n9yty

n9yty Member

No go joe. That is how I've had it set up for quite a while, but after to 10.4.7 upgrade it stopped working as soon as I changed my interface, and the only way to get it back was to reboot. I even tried unloading the Parallel's kext's loaded in /Library/StartupItems, re-loading them, then launching Paralells but could get no network connection going. I then changed Paralells to host-only, turned on internet sharing on the host side, and all of sudden it works. Something definitely was affected by the 10.4.7 upgrade, at least here, and it wasn't for the better.

12. HWgeek

HWgeek Junior Member

10.4.7 check

Got worried about the 10.4.7 "issue". Well, my MBP17 has 10.4.7, networking works fine between house and work and friends place where I showed him parallels and surfing on both X and XP today. All stuff is handed out via DHCP. one thing to check in XP is that both DNS is assigned via DHCP and gateway doesn't have any manual entries,
    Oh, and I am running Build 1848 (June 12, 2006) FYI

13. willfried

willfried Bit poster

10.4.7 issue?

Hi,
    Since I updated to 10.4.7 on my MBP 15", I have problems to get an internet connection. My VM is using Bridged Ethernet with default adapter. Starting VM, I receive the error "Problem with network adapter detected. Please check if network cable is connected to the physical network adapter attached to VM". The cable is connexted since I can connect to internet via OSX.
    Any ideas what is going wrong?

14. mmurray

mmurray Member

Why are you using the beta and not the final version ?

I have an Airport Extreme network at home and it works fine with the setting you have except mine says

en1: Airport/Wireless Adapter

At work (ethernet LAN) I seem to have to use the Host Only networking and remember to go into System Preferences > Sharing and turn on Internet Sharing.

Michael

15. Fatfish

Fatfish Junior Member

Had mine working under 10.4.6, thought 10.4.7 broke things but it didn't, some days after giving up on getting networking/internet working, it just started working, never did a thing. Then guess what, it just stopped again.

Now I have 192.168,129,x in my Parallels prefs, network adapter is leased a 192.168.129.3 address, but XP completely ignores it and wants to connect with 10.0.0.11.

16. Fatfish

Fatfish Junior Member

OK just a quick update, network/internet up again. It seems I just have to wait about 20 minutes.

17. Stecchino

Stecchino Bit poster

Michael,

Thank you for pointing that out. I guess I was using the beta because when I had initially downloaded Parallels several weeks ago that's what was available. The .dmg sat in my downloads folder until a couple of weeks ago and I didn't try to find a newer version.

Anyway, clearly that was the problem. Windows XP now immediately connects to my Airport Extreme network and also launches MUCH faster than the beta.

Thanks.

18. rusty

rusty Bit poster

cant get internet access

I am a total amateur but does anyone think the problem might be related to WEP vs WPA encryption? i also have the same problem mentioned but i only have the problem getting XP to connect wirelessly is when I am on a WPA encrypted transmitter. At home and my friends house we have WEP and it works beautifully on both X and XP. At work and in airports it doesnt work in XP but works fine in X.

clearly XP standalone has no problems w WPA. is there any way WPA and Parallels VM for XP just dont jive together?

In any event this is pathetic and PARALLELS YOU NEED TO FIX THIS BECAUSE YOUR PRODUCT IS FLAWED AND I SPENT 50 BUCKS.

Pls tell me i am wrong and there is a way to fix this.

Otherwise, somebody here know anybody at Parallels so they can fix this product flaw? this is an unworkable issue if most public spots dont work or take 20 mins to get an IP address. this should be fixable.

19. troyburns

troyburns Junior Member

Using the correct network adapter?

I was also having a problem connecting to the internet wirelessly from my Guest OS, but connected just fine from the Primary OS. I have a MacBook Pro with 10.4.7. I am running Parallels Build 1848. My Guest OS is WinXP SP2. For me to solve my problem was simply a matter of changing which network adapter I used in the Parallels Configuration Editor, which you can reach by clicking Edit when starting the Parallels Desktop. I switched from my "wired" Ethernet Adapter to Airport/Wireless Adapter. After making the change, I was able to connect to the internet from WinXP wirelessly. Before it would only work if I was connected with the ethernet cable.

I mention this simply in case someone else has a similar issue. It seems obvious after the fact, but wasn't to me before finding this thread.

20. PubGuy

PubGuy Hunter

I've got 10.4.7 on a MacBook Pro with Parallels and XP SP2.
    I've set mine up as Host-Only networking.
    Here's an overview of how to set it up.

Load Parallels and the Network Adapter setting.
    Device = Enabled
    Connect cable at startup = true
    Select Host-Only networking.
    Save the configuration

OS X: load System Preferences --> Sharing
    Select Firewall
    Select New
    Select Port = "Other"
    TCP: 80, 1171- 1968
    Description: Parallels Internet Sharing
    NOTE: you probably only need port 80. The other two numbers were specific to software I was using. Also, if you are using something like Squid proxy, you'll also have to add port 3128.

Windows Stuff to Check:
    Load XP and load your network settings.
    Double-click on your Local Network Settings.
    Click Properties.
    Scroll down and single-click on TCP/IP
    Select properties.
    Be sure both IP and DNS are set to automatic.
    Hit OK, then OK to close both panels and return to the Local Area Connection panel.
    Select Support tab.
    You should have an IP of 192.168.2.2 assigned with a gateway of 192.168.2.1
    Select OK.

Load your browser within Windows and you should connect.