Windows 98 Second Edition and Windows Update

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Parallels User, Jul 5, 2006.

1. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

2. namery

namery Member

didn't work for me. I still can't update even with IE 6 SP1. It just becomes stuck on "Windows Update is looking for available updates... 0% complete"

3. Banacek

Banacek Member

same thing happens to me...

4. perkata

perkata Bit poster

Worked for me!

Thank you, Sharkus. I downloaded the sp1 update, installed ie6 and was able to install a boatload of "critical" updates and several others I thought necessary.

5. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

6. namery

namery Member

I tried it again a couple days later and it worked. I definitley left it on that screen for ages before, (all day) and it just stayed on that screen. I haven'y done anything different since (or even activated the VM at all) it just decided to work.

7. jebworks

jebworks Member

I've read this thread in the hope that it finally helps me to get a solution to my problem. As I'm not able to boot from my XP Home Upgrade disk, I installed the full Windows '98 SE version - wasting two hours or so...! - and then follow your advice here to download available updates to it that might get the Upgrade disk to boot.

Now, here's the first problem: I've got IE already installed but trying to access the web, '98 wants to install a dial-up connection. I don't use dial-up but my airport LAN. Can't get a work around that stupid dial up set-up from way back last century....

I'm at a loss and increasingly frustrated that this has to be so complicated, time consuming and frustrating to make it work.....

8. Banacek

Banacek Member

I think 98 needs dial up networking installed whether your using it or a LAN. I could be wrong though.

9. jebworks

jebworks Member

It looks like that's the case. The problem is that W'98 does not list the USB modem that I am using on my MacBook. What they list in the set-up process is ancient stuff and there's not manual set-up possibility. I'm about to give up on the whole thing.

Nobody has been able to answer the question of why the upgrade disk is not booting up as it should.

10. Banacek

Banacek Member

Um, have you trying bridging that as a network connection? That might work, but I don't have a modem to test it. Also, Windows 98 cd's were never bootable, and the Upgrade cd's would not let you install unless it could either 1) find a windows 95 installation on the hard drive, or 2) you have a windows 95 full version to put in the cd drive to let setup check. Hope that helps.

11. jebworks

jebworks Member

I'm trying to do the exact thing that I successfully did a few years back on my Sony PC laptop that had W'98 running and I upgraded to XP home with this disk.

The issue in my opinion is the XP Home Upgrade disk that can't be used to boot and it doesn't find the W'98. On aother thread I read that some have been able to do this but it doesn't work for me.

12. sparky

sparky Junior Member

There's a notice on the Windows Auto Update Page that Windows 98, as of July 11, 2006, is no longer supported by Microsoft and that updates would have to be installed manually. At least that's the way I interpreted it.

13. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Junior Member

Not true. So long as you're running IE6 (have to manually download the installer for it), Windows Update will continue to work. However there will be no _new_ fixes.

FYI, WIndows 98 SE doesn't seem to need anything extra installed for networking (bridged).

14. sparky

sparky Junior Member

:rolleyes: Well then, with M$ not officially supporting it and no new fixes, then I'd conclude that a working Windows Update won't be doing any updating. :rolleyes:

15. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Junior Member

What I meant is that updates for 98 aren't manual. There just won't be any new ones (which is the case, regardless of whether one wants to install manually or otherwise).

But for a standard 98 SE installation, there are about 40 updates available right now... And I'd much rather let Windows update take care of them, than going through one-at-time!