Palm sync to Windows XP and OS X?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by TheLorax, Jun 16, 2006.

1. TheLorax

TheLorax Bit poster

I have a situation where I sync my palm OS handheld to my Mac for contacts, calendar items, etc.

I also have an older PC that I keep around for the sole purpose of syncing an application that runs in Windows only. When I sync to the PC I have everthing else turned off so that it doesn't attempt to overwrite any other information, it only updates that program.

With this current setup I have one Palm device that very happily syncs between a Mac, and a PC. I'm wondering if this will work with Parallels, or if Boot Camp is my best answer.

My real question is, if I'm in the Windows window and connect my Palm, does Parallels "take over" the USB port so that OS X doesn't see it? or will OS X catch it first.

If anyone has tried this I'd love to know the results. I can't attempt myself because I don't have my intel mac at home yet.

Thanks in advance,
    -Dave

2. dmacd

dmacd Junior Member

Palm sync

Yes, the Parallels WinXP application takes over and hotsync is performed under windows. You can disable this feature by disabling the 'Auto connect' option for USB in the Parallels preferences for the WinXP virtual machine.

I have my Palm setup under WinXP and can sync quite successfully, however keep in mind that at present USB in Parallels is not connected as USB 2.0 but USB 1.1. So although I sync perfectly well it seems quite slow- slower than on my old Toshiba 8200 machine.

3. Tanker10a

Tanker10a Junior Member

Cannot Hotsynch Treo700P

I have just installed all of my software and my MacBookPro is not responding to HotSync. What am I doing doing wrong since all Palm Installs are fairly simple. The Handheld is visible by the Paralels Desktop and no HotSynch.
    Btw-I am running Windows XP Pro
    TIA
    -Tanker10A
    :(

4. mmak

mmak Member

Tanker 10a:
    which os is not responding? X or XP?
    I can sync my 650 treo to the mac and tungsten to XP on Parallels. I have to manually turn Hot sync manager on/off on each system so they do not interfere with each other.

5. Tanker10a

Tanker10a Junior Member

The XP is not responding to the HotSync which is where I want the HotSync to take place. Otherwise Windows XP is operating as advertised.
    Thanks for the prompt response.

6. mmak

mmak Member

make sure os x hotsync manager is disabled.
    make sure hotsync on xp is enabled.
    when i first used usb for palm, it did not hotsync. a small icon appeared in the system tray and i double clicked it, it showed smthing relating to new harware found and had to install a driver or something. Only after a few tries did things work.
    when you say you see the handheld in parallels, I assume it shows up when you click on the USB icon at the bottom of the parallels window. Does it have a check mark nex to it? if not, you should select it to "connect it" to the pc side.
    Hope this helps,
    mike

7. dmgwork

dmgwork Member

I use the palm 700p and can sync with USB or bluetooth (usb is much faster) with missing sync software from shirt pocket it allows for syncing from the addressbook and ical to the mac and works great. I havent tried it in parallels, because I have tried to keep my mail on the mac to avoid viruses

8. Tanker10a

Tanker10a Junior Member

Mike
    OS Hotsync is not installed on the OS-X.
    Yes it shows up when you click on the USB icon at the bottom of the parallels window.
    Yes it has a check mark on it indicating Palm Handheld.
    No HotSync for me!
    Tanker10a

9. Tanker10a

Tanker10a Junior Member

I am exploring the possibilities of BootCamp since I cannot Hotsync my Treo700P with Parallels. There's a waste of a good $39 bucks.
    Tanker10a

10. Resuna

Resuna Member

I'm seeing the same thing...

I'm using a Sony Clie SJ22 and I'm not going to switch from my reliable Palm Desktop to some third-party package on top of iSync (which has completely destroyed my Palm address book and calendar the three times I've used it with (IIRC) two different packages, due to Apple's conviction that nobody owns two Macs who doesn't buy in to ".mac") until I've tried all possible alternatives.

Since I prefer the PC Palm Desktop to the Mac one, I might as well use Parallels for this.

What I'm seeing is that Windows 2000 (in my case) recognises the Palm device (shows up in device manager), but Sony's version of the hotsync manager never comes up. When I look at the hotsync manager's settings it's got "USB" checked, but when I get to (Setup...->Local), it warns me that COM1 isn't connected and then there's no option for USB in Local. :eek:

Any clues?

11. Resuna

Resuna Member

Followup, latest build still doesn't work.

I'm still unable to sync. my Clie is at least recognised by Hotsync now, but it hangs immediately.

It works in VMWare Fusion, and I guess I might have to jump ship no matter how much better Parallels Desktop is if I can't get this working by the time my Beta expires.

12. psyfil

psyfil Member

FWIW, I can sync my Palm Treo 650 in either operating system. If I want to sync it in OSX basically I don't have to do anything except click in the OSX window to make it active. If I want to sync in Windows I have to use manual connect on the bottom right USB devices menu to connect the Palm and then push the sync button--it doesn't announce itself until this button on the cable or cradle are pushed. Maybe this helps.

PJK

13. Resuna

Resuna Member

Sounds like you're using a newer hotsync than on my Clie, since I've never had it announce itself without the button being pushed. Possibly Palm hotsync only works in PalmOS 5 (ARM based) and not PalmOS 4 (68000 based)?

14. psyfil

psyfil Member

I have a Treo 650. In build 3150 the PC side captures the Treo whenever I have the Windows OS open-or at least 90% of the time. To sync to Entourage I have to close the Windows OS. I am running an iMac 2.33ghz, 2048 of ram, 1024 to Parallels. I've e-mailed the problem to the beta report address.

PHIL k