How can I switch desktop in fullscreen?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by ammonkc, Jul 11, 2006.

1. ammonkc

ammonkc Bit poster

Is there any way to switch to a different desktop (ie: virtue desktop) while in parallels fullscreen mode? Right now the only way I can even get out of windows is to exit fullscreen mode. is there any way that I can stay in fullscreen mode and switch mac and forth to different desktops?
    Thanks,

2. VTMac

VTMac Pro

Using virtue desktop, you simply ctrl+click+<arrow key>.
    I do it all day, everyday. Unless you've remapped default key assignments to some other configuration, this will work perfectly.

3. RujusMacBook

RujusMacBook Member

I simply use ctrl+shift+arrow key and I have not modified any of my Virtue Desktop shortcuts

4. ammonkc

ammonkc Bit poster

What version of parallels are you guys using. I used to be able to switch virtue desktops with ctrl + shift + arrow key but when I updated to the final version that wouldn't work anymore. I'm using build 1848 (June 12, 2006). It seems like in this version parallels lets windows take complete control of the keyboard and mouse so none of the osx apps can see the keystrokes. the only way I can get virtuedesktop to see the key command is to release focus from parallels first which exits fullscreen. I liked it a lot better when I could switch easily with ctrl+shift+arrow.

5. Shawn Parr

Shawn Parr Bit poster

I'm also having no problems switching desktops with Virtue and Parallels (the final release). What I have done is created triggers in Virtue for each of my desktops. For instance my first desktop is accessible via Command-Option-1, the second with Command-Option-2, etc.

Maybe Windows is grabbing the usual Shift-Control-Arrow for something and that is why it doesn't work.

As a probably unrelated issue, for some reason when I am in a Windows VM (I haven't tried my linux ones lately) I have to hit Alt-Enter twice before it will take me out of full screen. The first one seems to be ignored.

6. tbrice

tbrice Bit poster

I have the same problem. In order to invoke Virtue I have to press control-alt to release the keyboard from the VM. When I do that the VM switches out of fullscreen mode. This is on a MacBook Pro

7. maverick808

maverick808 Hunter

This has been answered a few times before. If you can't switch it's because you have "Enable access for assisitve devices" checked in universal access preference pane.

I don't know why that affects it but it does. So if you don't NEED any assistive devices or apps then uncheck it. Unfortunately, I use xGestures which does need that box ticked.

Even if you leave it checked you can still switch back to desktop quickly by hiding Parallels (Apple-h). This is what I use... it doesn't have animation but I actually prefer it because it's instantaneous.

8. ammonkc

ammonkc Bit poster

Thanks. I don't know why I didn't find that in any of my threads that came up in my search. I know that I have some apps that use the universal access, but I don't remember what they were. I never even thought of using the 'hide' function. I might just start using that now too. Thanks

9. Edd

Edd Member

yes thank you, I was having the exact problem.

parallels and virtue (as they seem to be mildly collaborating) should try to address this. I NEED assistive devices checked.

thanks for the work around though, does anyone else find that switching desktops from full screen pulls parallels out of fullscreen anyway?

Here's what happens.
    I'm in full screen working, and switch back to a desktop for osx
    i'm there for a couple of seconds and then the full screen windows screen appears and does the parallels transition to non-full screen and leaves it on the parallels desktop view not the osx view.

anyone else have this?

Edd

10. Edd

Edd Member

I found the solution to my problem, and incase anyone search-finds this thread I thought I'd share.
    In parallels preferences under the 'user interface' click the 'advanced...' button and uncheck 'exit full screen on focus lost' and it'll not exit full screen when virtue switches desktops.

now for the enable for assistive devices to be fixed....