Installing Ubuntu without wasting a CD

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by hansderycke, Jul 6, 2006.

1. hansderycke

hansderycke Member

Searching on the forum for a way to access my Mac files from within Ubuntu (I didn't find it), I noticed several threads where people were burning CD's and installing Ubuntu from there. As I installed Ubuntu without burning a CD, I thought I'd share my experience, maybe save a few people the $.50 expense of burning a disk, conserve some resources, and generally accumulate some good karma and metaphysical brownie points.

So here's how I installed Ubuntu:
    1) I downloaded the .iso disk image.
    2) I created a new VM (Linux - other)
    3) I started the new VM and voila... Well, no, it didn't work. The VM complained about not having an operating system and all that. But that made sense! After all, why would the VM know about this .iso file I had sitting on my desktop? So I proceeded to step...
    4) Going back to the VM's property page, I did two things:
    4.1) I set the CD/DVD-ROM 1 to "Use image file", and the image file I selected was... you guessed it, the .iso file I had downloaded.
    4.2) I set the boot sequence to "CD-ROM, Hard Disk, Floppy", ensuring that the CD (or rather, the .iso file) would be the first thing accessed.
    5) I started the VM and voila... it worked. Ubuntu started as if from an actual, physical "Live CD", and from there, I proceeded to install it. I've been mucking around with it for a bit now, and I have to say I'm pretty impressed.

Phew, this was fun to write. I hope it is as useful for you as it was enjoyable for me. And if you know how I can access my shared folder on my Mac from within Ubuntu, I'll be doubly pleased.

Enjoy,
    Hans.

2. BrentB

BrentB Member

Nice. I've done all my installs up to this point from DVDs, but this will come in *very* handy in the near future. Thanks!

As for sharing to/from Ubuntu, have you tried smb mounting your shares? You'll need the IP of the "Mac side", as well as the full path to what you want to share. Then create a mountpoint (I'm using /mnt/shared below, you can use anything you want), and mount it up.

From inside Ubuntu:
    mkdir /mnt/shared
    mount -t smb [ipaddress of Mac side]:[sharepath] /mnt/shared

3. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Use NFS. It is native to OS X and in fact, all modern flavors of Unix and Linux. And of course, Ubuntu can present file systems to OS X using the same protocol. Never forget that OS X is Unix with a cute face.

dp

4. hansderycke

hansderycke Member

I've been trying all kinds of stuff, and while I can add a network server (Places->Connect to server), all I get is an icon called Network server. Double-clicking on that reveals another one called Workgroup, and that one reveals one called Marvin. That's the name of my Mac, but double-clicking it reveals an empty window. I just can never see anything on Marvin, no matter what I try.

I tried your instructions, but apparently I don't have permission to mount anything. "Only root can do that". I thought I was the head honcho of my machine?

5. hansderycke

hansderycke Member

I'd love to. How do I do that? I tried System->Administration->Shared folders, and set up my home folder as an NFS share, with the allowed hosts toe be "hosts in the eth0 network", but the Mac side doesn't seem to see the share.

6. BrentB

BrentB Member

Sorry, my fault. Throw a 'sudo' in front of the mount command. It should ask for your password, then perform the mount.

7. rosewaning

rosewaning Bit poster

I tried this, and I got the message "No boot device available"

8. dvinnola

dvinnola Junior Member

I got that same error, but I downloaded teh x86 version, and it worked.

9. canarcane

canarcane Bit poster

Thanks Hans

Very clear, and helpfull. I'll use this one in the future.