Bootcamp vs. Parallel

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Tanker10a, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Tanker10a

Tanker10a Junior Member

Can anyone tell me which system is better to hotsync a Palm Treo 700P: Bootcamp or Parallels? It seems that I have purchased this Parallels and even their TEch Support cannot give me a straight answer on to fix this problem. Because when I wrote to Parallels Tech Support, I received a response about ActiveSync which has nothing to do with the Palm OS.
    Imagine that! :rolleyes:

Does anyone in this forum know how to fix this? I do not need to know if it works because it's apparent that it does. I desperately need to know how to fix the problem.
    My MacBook Pro is currently running Windows as advertised. The Windows USB is indicating Palm and the New Hardware presence is chiming indicating that the device is available but the HotSync is not executing because the Palm is waiting for the computer and then times out indicating that the HotSync could not be performed.
    The HotSync Wizard cannot execute the HotSync either. :confused:
    That is where it's been ever since. I would be eternally greatful for a direct fix. :eek:
    TIA

2. namery

namery Member

it should work fine in bootcamp, as bootcamp turns your Mac into an *Actual Windows PC* so all PC hardware should run exactly the same as if you were running it on a purely Windows box.

3. Tanker10a

Tanker10a Junior Member

Sincere thanks Namery for the prompt response!
    "Should" is the operative here. That is what I have heard of Parallels too until I put all my eggs in one basket with it. Now I have to rebuild with BootCamp and I am out $39.
    Btw-I always have a seperate Admin account on my Mac and in the process, I have created a seperate partition with windows on the Admin account. Do you have any ideas on how to delete that partition?
    TIA
    Tankser10A

4. namery

namery Member

Personally, I am running BC and Parallels and don't consider myself to be $39 (or £26 in my case) out of pocket. Parallels is great for just quickly doing something in windows that you couldn't do previously on just a Mac, and BC is great for getting the full hardware support of a PC. To answer your other question about the separate admin account on your Mac: "I have created a seperate partition with windows on the Admin account" are you referring to a Bootcamp partition? or a Parallels disk image?

5. rgrier

rgrier Bit poster

Parallels or Bootcamp for Syncing Treo 700p

Try installing 'Missing Sync for Palm OS' on your Mac. It works much better than Parallels or Bootcamp. Its always available. I have not had any significant issues running the program.

Ralph

6. Tanker10a

Tanker10a Junior Member

Ralph,
    I do not need MissingSynch for the Palm OS because I need to run the Palm OS in Windows for the purpose of a specific Palm application. The whole premise of this is to get rid of my PC and to consolidate all my PC usage into my MacBook Pro. The Palm Sync application must operate native Windows. Therefore, my Treo must synchronize properly with Windows running inside of Parallels. That's it in a nut shell.
    All of my real estate applications must run inside of Windows. I do not have a choice in this. My Compaq Pressario is my solution for now until I can establish Windows for synchronization. Otherwise, Paralels is functionning brillantly. This is the last piece of my computing solution: The "Missing Link" if you will.
    Tanker10A

7. Tanker10a

Tanker10a Junior Member

Namery,
    If BC can fulfill all the hardware support as you indicated, then Parallels is $39 out of pocket. Because HotSynch is a basic hardware function that Parallels cannot fulfill without some degree of difficulty. Moreover, this thread would not have been created had Parallels been so flawless. Granted, HotSync has worked for some users, then why not for everyone without all the fuss...

8. namery

namery Member

I only said personally I am not $39 out of pocket, as I use Parallels and BC for different things. I dont' expect one piece of software to fulfill every single task I require it for (It happens, but its rare). For running Windows software, Parallels is excellent. For hardware it less good.
    "this thread would not have been created had Parallels been so flawless" - No software is flawless in my opinion.