Both Cores @ 100% When running Win XP

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by rmarotti, Jul 12, 2006.

1. rmarotti

rmarotti Bit poster

Hi, I have a MacBook with 2.0GHz CoreDuo and 2GB of RAM. I recently installed PD and XPSP2. Now when I launch the XP VM it behaves normally for a few minutes then both fans spin up and the VM grinds to a near-halt. (This is with next to no activity in XP, i.e. one IE window open and Avast running in the background) Checking the System Monitor in OSX I see that PD is using 100% of both CPU cores. Has this happened to anyone else? Is there a solution to this problem? I browsed the forums and googled the problem and couldn't find anything about it.

Thanks,

Rich

2. rmarotti

rmarotti Bit poster

Anybody? *sniffle*

3. dmgwork

dmgwork Member

I havent seen this problem but then I dont run Avast. Try just running Parallels and see if you have the same problem

4. rmarotti

rmarotti Bit poster

I'm not really comfortable runnign windows without an antivirus program. Has anyone else traced this maxing out of the CPU to Avast?

5. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

6. dmgwork

dmgwork Member

Norton works

I use norton on the parallels and it works, not sure about the other antivirus software

7. monoclast

monoclast Member

Is VT enabled on your Mac?

Hi Rich,

Just curious - if you load and run your VM, select About Parallels Desktop from the Parallels menu bar, and then click More Info, does it show that Virtualization Mode is enabled?

8. rmarotti

rmarotti Bit poster

M-

I hadn't checked that yet, no. At work now, will look into it and report back. Thanks for the suggestion.

-Rich