Dell 1600n Network printer and Parallels??

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Sledneck, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Sledneck

Sledneck Bit poster

Ok... I am new here.. I am switching to an Imac (Still waiting for it to arrive) I know I can run XP With boot camp but I want to stay in Mac mode with parallels and XP. My question is. My network printer (Dell 1600n) isnt supported by Apple or Dell and no drivers are availible. Can I install my Dell printer drivers while in XP and be able to use all of its functions? Also, I use an online fax service that uses the software called "Ringcentral' that will also only run under XP. When I scan from my Dell it sends the document right to my Ringcentral software for faxing. Please tell me this will work...... I dont want to have to reboot and start in windows.
    Thanks
    Vince

2. VTMac

VTMac Pro

Actually I use this printer. The dell printer is actually made by Xerox. It is the Xerox 1600n. Go to the Xerox site and download the OSX driver. Install the driver per normal OSX procedure. Finally, I had to connect to the printer by IP address to get it to work. For whatever reason, it's name on the local network wouldn't resolve on my mac.

Once you have that, you can use Bonjour to share the printer on the XP side.

3. Sledneck

Sledneck Bit poster

Thank you for the reply.
    I just went to Xerox's site and couldnt find the printer you were talking about. 1600n?
    I had an Imac that i returned to Compusa and decided to get one directally from Apple. I tried for a few days to get the printer to work with no luck. Could you post the link for the drivers you used?
    Thanks
    Vince

4. Sledneck

Sledneck Bit poster

????????????

5. tekhound

tekhound Bit poster

Based on this article ( http://tinyurl.com/jqm3j ), it looks like a rebranded Samsung.

"The 1600n seems to work with Samsung SCX-4720F drivers for all but network scan. It may be worth noting for anyone interested that Samsung has released MAC and Linux drivers for the 4720F and it seems very likely to me that they'd have no trouble printing using the Dell 1600n. If I could find the firmware to the 4720F, I'd try to flash it into my 1600n as the drivers and software from Samsung appear a bit more advanced than those provided by Dell."

I probably would not try the firmware thing (so you won't brick your printer), but maybe the drivers might work. Hope this helps.

6. VTMac

VTMac Pro

7. Sledneck

Sledneck Bit poster

When I had the other IMac, I tried those drivers for the PE 120. Under printer settings it wouldn't allow me to use those. I guess I will wait and see when I get my new one.

8. VTMac

VTMac Pro

When I initially installed this driver, it installed fine, but when I printed to the printer I would get an error. Eventually I traced the problem to the name of the printer not being resolved to the correct IP address. Once I got that working, the driver works perfectly. I've been using it since March when I got my MPB w/o problems.

9. Sledneck

Sledneck Bit poster

Are you able to use the network scan feature of the 1600N?

10. VTMac

VTMac Pro

I've never tried. And I'm traveling like crazy for work right now. I'll only be in the office 1 day in the next 2 weeks. If I have a chance, I'll give it a try and let you know.

11. rleonetti

rleonetti Bit poster

I cannot connect a Dell 1700n. What I know: I can ping the printer. I know it's IP address. When I use Bonjour and get to the finish I get first: Arguments invalid. After ok I then get "you do not have sufficient access to the computer to connect to the selected printer. (The iMac has no trouble at all printing to it.):(