Mac Classic

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Brown, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Brown

Brown Bit poster

I do not yet have an intel mac but am in the process of getting one. I have read that the Intel macs do not support Classic (os9) applications. I may be the only one on the planet using MacDraft but I use it successfully to teach cad fundamentals in my Drafting 1 course on 10 Performa 5260 machines. Can or does parallels support older mac OSes

2. constant

constant Forum Maven

A reply has to be at least ten characters, but the short answer is. No.

3. Hellmark

Hellmark Bit poster

I do believe it only supports x86 based Operating Systems, so PowerPC or 68k based versions of MacOS aren't able to be used.

4. dmtdbear

dmtdbear Bit poster

OS9 vitualization/emulation products.

Here is the difference we have here. If you have OS X for Intel and an Intel based Mac your sole choice is Parallels which is a very good choice. On the PPC side of things, You should have the MS (formally Connectix) Virtual PC for Mac. It is currently only a PPC and won't run on any Intel Macs, unless you are running Windows XP on that Mac. So you will have to use BootCamp to load XP (only on a intel Mac) or install Windows NT 4.0 (for PPC), then load VirtualPC 2004 or Parallels Workstation 2.1 to run other MS OS's or Linux.

Gerald

5. pogi

pogi Member

There is a program for intel macs that will allow booting os9. It is called sheepshaver. Google it. Make sure you have access to an old PPC mac and an os9 cd that is 9.0.4 or below.

Good luck!