Arghh! Did I miss the $49 deal for Parallels?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by zoobazz, Jul 15, 2006.

1. zoobazz

zoobazz Junior Member

The footnote says the deal is good through the 15th of July. That's today... so when going to buy it it turns into a $79 line item.

Anyone have a similar deal when buying?

thanks in advance.

2. ccparallels

ccparallels Member

We're pleased with our trial and just ran into the same problem. And to boot, it's forcing us to accept the $6.99 Extended Download Service. ????

3. Phil Waters

Phil Waters Bit poster

Actually, you need to click on the non-intuitive looking trash can just to the right of the product name and under the "Remove" text to delete and upgrade the basket.

But, yes, I too am having trouble ordering the product at $49.99 despite the fact that the product is being promoted at that price all over the website.

-Phil

4. ccparallels

ccparallels Member

Hmm, if I click on Parallel's Workstation 2.1 for Win & Lin that says $49. ?!?!?

5. ccparallels

ccparallels Member

Ok, I managed to delete the download service. And cleared out everything and "Continued Shopping" now return with just the one thing in cart at $79.99. Is there supposed to be a coupon code that somehow obvious on the website somewhere?

6. ultima301

ultima301 Bit poster

I want to know about this too. I really want this product but do not want to pay the full price! Keep this bumped until we can get an answer. I also e-mailed regnow-support@parallels.com and asked them about it. Maybe you guys should try this as well.

7. ccparallels

ccparallels Member

They've got to know this is the case. Even if the deal was the end yesterday, nobody has changed the website and so they've got to honor it IMO. Anyway, I suspect this is an oversight in whatever cgi script or whatever if underneath some of this.

8. zoobazz

zoobazz Junior Member

bump

I don't think it's an oversight. It clearly states "through July 15th". We haven't finished July 15th yet, so how could it be "through" july 15th?

bump bump:)

9. ccparallels

ccparallels Member

I'm saying it's a programming oversight of some sort. I agree it clearly says through July 15 and we haven't finished the 15th yet (furthermore, it's throughout the site w/o even mentioning the 15th cutoff further emphasizing it is still an active discount).

10. PRextraction11

PRextraction11 Bit poster

vacations = bad

I just came back from vacation today and was excited because I still had enough money to buy Parallels at the $49.99 price...or so I thought. I really hope this gets rectifed or something; I really want Parallels, but don't think I could shell out $79.99 (trying to cut costs because college is coming up soon).

bump bump

11. ultima301

ultima301 Bit poster

Only 45 minutes left in my time zone :( . I hope they extend this for a day or something for people who wanted it today. No response to my e-mail...
    bumped

12. Jimwa

Jimwa Bit poster

Well, I formerly had decided that I was going to wait until Parallels added the ability to use the Boot Camp XP installation before I would purchased Desktop, but today I broke down and decided to go ahead and purchase Desktop today while the $49 offer was still on.

Needless to say, with Parallels not honoring their own offer terms, and also never responding to my forum question about using the Boot Camp installation, I guess I will indeed wait and buy Desktop only when they add the Boot Camp compatibility, and they will wait to get my money

Last edited: Jul 16, 2006
  13. ccparallels

ccparallels Member

It looks like we'll have to wait until Monday to see how they handle this.

14. jrstinkfish

jrstinkfish Bit poster

Well now the price has flipped to $79 on the main site ... stinks, I was going to purchase it Saturday, but I can't really justify $30 more just to save the occasional reboot. Didn't get an answer to my email inquiry about it either -- doesn't bode well for future customer support issues. I suppose it's the luck of last minute shoppers. I didn't get my Intel iMac until a few days ago, but I figured I had til Saturday to play with Parallels and make a decision.

Nice product though. Aside from the USB quirks, they did a great job. They'll sell plenty without me :)

15. MBPro

MBPro Bit poster

Found it today at the Apple Store!

I am going to post a new threa don thsi but just wanted to let you knwo that I found the product today at the Apple Store in San Francisco. It was $79.99 like everywhere else but I am using it now and it is worth much more than this. THose of you complaining about missing the $49.99 price by a few hours should just srping for the money and get it! Parallels is worth it and would be at double the price based on what I see so far.

16. ccparallels

ccparallels Member

Some of us did not miss the $49.99 price by a few hours. Oh, as Parallels is worth it at double the $79.99 price you paid, I would suggest instead of complaining about it, that you simply go online and send them another $79.99, it will only take a few seconds. :)

17. jrstinkfish

jrstinkfish Bit poster

Orrrr they could honor the deal. I'm sure they'll come in Monday to a nice backlog of emails, hopefully they'll at least extend it one more day.

18. Spanners

Spanners Bit poster

With the greatest respect to the Parallels, I take issue with the fact that they are forcing us to pay for a product we may or may not want. I am talking about the Compressor add-on.

If was running Linux then the Desktop product would cost me $49.99 but just because I am a mac user I am being asked to pay $79.99 How is that fair? The underlying technology is the same so why can't all the flavours be the same price?

I want to buy this I really do but with all the other vendors of virtualisation giving their technology away for free, I just feel like we are being used.

I say - Parallels bring your prices in line with your other products!

19. petro

petro Member

What other products?

This $49.99 offer has been available for many weeks now. Stop complaining because you waited until the very last day. Who says the offer has to be until July 15th in your time zone?

Second, why should they bring their prices in line with other products? What other product is there which does what Parallels for Mac does? As of right now, none. They can charge whatever they want. Either buy it, or go use BootCamp.

Many people on these message boards seem to be waiting for future features and complaining because something isn't available. You should buy a product on what it does today, not hoping they'll develop some feature in the future.

The team at Parallels should be commended for developing a product and bringing it to market so quickly. This is a 1.0 version of a product on a completely new hardware platform. You should accept what you're getting in to by purchasing it while it's still so new, including a lack of responsive tech support. If you're not happy with this level of product maturity and support, then don't buy it! And please stop filling up the message boards with complaints, so the rest of us don't have to waste time looking for productive threads.

I for one am glad they're not hanging around the message boards responding to every little complaint and comment, and hopefully off working on something more useful to all of us.

20. jrstinkfish

jrstinkfish Bit poster

Are they from Austrailia? Because I tried buying it at 10am Saturday morning, and no-go. To their credit, they did respond to me today, and I'll be purchasing it today, . The email kind of skirted any blame for having the price and date slapped all over the website when the special was supposedly over (paraphrase: "Well, you DID have the past 45 days to buy it, but maybe we should've been clearer about the end date..."). As I already stated, in my case, I've only had my iMac for a few days and wanted to use to trial as much as possible before purchasing -- not sure what everyone else's excuse was for waiting til the last day.

That said, great product, customer support came through, and I can't wait to start playing with some Linux distros. :D