Red Hat Fedora Core 5

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by wcontello, May 31, 2006.

1. wcontello

wcontello Bit poster

Has anyone installed and run Fedora Core 5? I was able to install but when the guest os attempts to boot it seems there is a kernel panic. I tried with the VT-x support on and off.

Any other ideas?

Wayne

2. rjgebis

rjgebis Hunter

I am running it here. But this was installed during Beta6. I am running 2.6.16-1.2122_FC5 under RC2

3. peterwor

peterwor Hunter

I'm running it as well and yes I also installed during RC1. I can tell you one thing quirly I found. Set the maximum memory back to 512 megs and it should boot fine. 3 out of 5 times it won't boot when I jack the max memory back up to 900megs. However I just reset the machine and it seems to run at 900megs of RAM.

HTH,
    Peter

4. wcontello

wcontello Bit poster

Yes. Setting RAM for guest OS to 512 MEG (not Megs, it's not Megas bytes it's Mega Bytes) did allow the guest OS to start. Now network form the guest OS does not work.

5. johnb

johnb Member

adding memory

of course, MEG implies only a single megabyte. and we do have more than one. so i think MEGS works. the issue with going over abotu 572MB is that fedora doesn't address it because of a pentium issue. you need to change your grub script to include the line mem=nopentium. if u google this phrase you find instructions on what do edit in your grub script. it has nothing to do with parallels.

6. bartho

bartho Member

Way off topic, but unit symbols are typically unaltered in plural. In particular, the units in the SI-system are never changed in plural (see the standard). Also, if one is to nitpick anything expect "MB" (or perhaps "MiB" in the base-2 case) or spelled out is wrong.

Having said that, who cares? I'm pretty sure we understand each other whatever we write, and this is just an informal forum. :)

7. tc60045

tc60045 Junior Member

you guys are dorks (plural)

make no mistake on units: you guys are lower-case dorks (plural) for debating megs / M / MEGS here.

Nevertheless, for anyone else searching on RC5 fedora issues: kernel panic is fixed by dropping to 512 mega-dorks.

8. coxcu

coxcu Bit poster

"it has nothing to do with parallels"

That depends on how you look at it. If giving a VM too much memory can cause it to fail, then a warning in the configuration dialog might be appropriate.

Is there any sort of standard way of reporting VM crashes to Parallels?

9. BenInBlack

BenInBlack Pro

I installed it from ISO (i386) DVD just the other a week ago, with VM set to 256Mb
    Runs just fine. I'm even running it on mini-Stack over firewire.