Error: Installation failed.

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by evolutionary, Apr 30, 2006.

1. evolutionary

evolutionary Bit poster

Well I guess parallels does not work as easy as it claims. this is the message i encounter when i try to install windows xp:

installation failed: D:\I386\asms. Error Message: The drive cannot find the sectorrequested.

Fatal error: One of the components that windows needt to continue setup could not be installed. the drive cannot find the sector requested.

Why does installation not work as advertised?

2. Godrifle

Godrifle Member

Bad Disk

Sorry to hear of your struggles. That error reflects a bad sector on your installation media.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2006
  3. evolutionary

evolutionary Bit poster

Bad physical install disc or bad virtual disc

Do you mean I have a bad physical Win XP disc or a bad sector within the virtual machine (ie. my MBP hard drive?

4. dannybloe

dannybloe Bit poster

I have exactly the same error with a new dvd that's been used before without problems.

5. dannybloe

dannybloe Bit poster

And I just copied the entire disk contents to my mac without any problems so the problem is definitely NOT the disk!

6. David N

David N Bit poster

installation of XP fails

Does anyone have a solution for this? I am trying to install and get various error codes referring to i386\KDCOM.DLL unable to be loaded or "INF file txtsetup.sif is corrupt or missing, status 512" and so on.

I tried to use Disk Utility to make a disk image but got an "input/output" error.

Will I have to fork over another $280 to the Gates Foundation for a new disk or how does one return a defective software disk to Amazon? I'm under the impression that as soon as you open the box your money goes down the drain...

dave.

7. Jmdor

Jmdor Member

Try making an .iso file of the install disk and install from the .iso file instead. I had the same problem; it may be an issue of the intense pulls that Parallels has to do from the CD drive, resulting in an error. All my other programs installed from CD with no problem, but I had to do the .iso route for the actual system install.

8. David N

David N Bit poster

Thanks for the reply. I'm a bit unfamiliar with your terminology, perhaps you could dumb it down for me a pinch?

I did try, after reading the forums here, to open Disk Utility, select the install disc, and try to make a "new image" with the format read-only and no encryption. After about 15 minutes of crunching, there was an "input/output" error. (This is the same think you are referring to as 'making an .iso file"?)

At that point I had spent about 2 hours trying to get Parallels and XP installed, including research on the failures and time spent trying to find out what Parallels meant by "Authentication Code", which is the same as the "license number" which is the same as the "registration code", or something like that, three names for the same thing, no tech support online or in person, minimal FAQs online, etc.

I've been using the Parallels User Guide and the Take Control eBook Windows on your Mac, reading step by step for the install.

I'm not newbie, I've used Macs for about 20 years and Windows at work for probably 10 years or so (not getting so much under the hood as with the Mac). This experience makes me appreciate my time in the Mac world.

Meanwhile, Amazon is sending me a new install disc. Hope it works.

Looking forward to your further notes, Thanks!