Help with USB "dongle"

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by ira, Jul 12, 2006.

1. ira

ira Bit poster

I've just started using parallels on my intel imac at work.

One of the key programs I need to run with windows requires a usb authorisation key to work (also known as a usb dongle).

In order for the dongle to work windows installs two drivers "Aladdin systems key" and another driver for "HASP 2.17".

On the first install this works OK and windows recognises both drivers. The problem arises when I unplug the dongle and try to plug it back in. When I do that the only driver that comes up in device manager is "Aladdin systems key" and it fails to start.

I must admit to being a windows newbie having only worked with Mac and Linux in the past so perhaps there is a way I could resolve the problem by explicitly unmounting the usb disk and shutting down both drivers before physically unplugging the key ... I don't know how to do this though since the key does not show up as a storage device.

For now I have to uninstall drivers and reinstall every time I want to use my program. If anyone can offer some hints I would much appreciate it. And if someone from parallels could take note and fix this problem in the next release that would also be great.

Thanks

2. staggy1

staggy1 Junior Member

Ira,
    if you find a way for this to work please post as I have the same problem

Cheers

3. richardsan

richardsan Bit poster

same here

my lightwave usb dongle is not seen by the application wanting it.
    really need to get this working !

there aren't any:rolleyes: problems with it, on the mac side...

4. Jmdor

Jmdor Member

Disable/Reenable

The way we've found around this issue is to go to control panels in windows, select "system", then "hardware manager." Under the list of usb devices, yours will have an exclamation point or some such on it. Right-click, select disable. Select ok to any warning dialogue. Right-click, select enable. Your dongle should now be working.

I have to do this for my aladdin hasp and a card reader. It's slightly annoying, but much better than the thing not working!

Jeanne

5. richardsan

richardsan Bit poster

not working

tried tthe disable, re-enable process without succes...

6. staggy1

staggy1 Junior Member

Does not work for me either, any more ideas.

7. Jazzy60

Jazzy60 Bit poster

usb dongle security device

Yup same old. Using Parallels for 1 Windows program we use and it a dongle usb security device. I've used VPC 7 with XP for a while and it was an unstable slow slug, so bought a new intel imac (2g RAM), Windows and Parallels with great anticipation. Install was a real struggle and Parallels support (at $35.00cdn a call) was very difficult. Anyway finally got Windows running and it was awesome. Very fast to load etc. BUt when the one programe we needed was loaded the usb dongle iis not supported and we are back to square one. Any thoughts on Boot Camp and the dongle? My next decision may be to buy a PC to run one program (Arggghhhhh)

8. denis

denis Bit poster

All of my problems with HASP 2.17 dongle, aka Aladdin key, were gone after I installed the version 1922 RC 2 onto my Macbook Pro (Intel Duo) from the website.

The new version also resolved all my problems with the Viking d-Card reader/ writer.

The latest update is not available through the automatic software update function. You have to download it from the website directly. You will not have to reinstall the guest OS.

The link to the latest version is here:

http://www.parallels.com/en/download/desktop/

Thanks again, Jeanne, for her smart advice and generouse help!

With this post, I would like to inform all embroidery designers that the Husqvarna Viking 3D Professional software, the HASP 2.17 dongle, and d-Card reader/writer can work totally smoothly now on Macs with the help of Parallels.

Thanks to the Parallels team! Finally we do not have to have a Mac and a PC to be able to do our work.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2006
  9. Linda

Linda Bit poster

Jeanne,
    Thank you so much for posting your fix for the dongle issue! I just tried it and it worked! Now I can start working on my iMac again, instead of my laptop! Thank you thank you thankyou!!!! :)

Linda