Timezone Bug

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by hhwong, Jul 17, 2006.

1. hhwong

hhwong Member

I have found that when you boot up Windows XP in parallels that has a different timezone than what the Mac is set up to be (e.g., GMT-10 in Windows, GMT-8 on Mac OS X), Parallels grabs the wrong time from the Mac.

Example:

On the Mac: Pacific Daylight Time (10AM)
    On Windows XP/Parallels: Set for Hawaii (should be 7AM)

When you boot up into Windows, the time should be 7am, but it is set for 10am Hawaii. When you do a time synchronization in Windows with NTP, it fixes the problem, but it doesn't happen immediately.

Parallels should take in consideration the timezone when grabbing the time from the Mac on startup.

2. namery

namery Member

if you install parallels tools, I believe it contains a fix for this

3. hhwong

hhwong Member

Parallels tools is installed....

4. namery

namery Member

So if you set the timezone correctly in Parallels, when you next reboot it changes the timezone?

5. hhwong

hhwong Member

No, it isn't the issue with timezone setting. It's an issue with Parallels grabbing the time from hardware (mac) assuming the timezone in the Guest OS (Windows) is the same.

6. namery

namery Member

ok. if you go to the parallels tools in the system tray, double click and go to the Time synchronisaion section. There is a description there which may help. The answer may be clicking "Keep time difference between primary and guest OS"

7. hhwong

hhwong Member

It's already checked, so this is telling me if you change the time, it will maintain the difference, but on a cold start, there's no difference to keep track of so it ends up grabbing mac time. I don't think this feature is relevant for what I found.

8. hcdavis

hcdavis Bit poster

Boot Camp does the same thing.