setup solaris x86 on WindownXP us Parallel Workstation 2.1

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation for Windows and Linux' started by nghienmatuy, May 17, 2006.

1. addiecool

addiecool Bit poster

ok I got the networking working but still cannot find how to configure the DNS server. I can ping but not resolve www addresses.

Please help

2. IscariotJ

IscariotJ Member

You need to modify /etc/resolv.conf ( also check that hosts in nsswitch.conf is configured to use dns, too ), and add entries for your name server.

3. addiecool

addiecool Bit poster

these files do not exist. do i create them? and how

4. addiecool

addiecool Bit poster

ok got it working. Thanks

5. duncag

duncag Bit poster

opensolaris on Parallels Workstation setup

After struggling myself on a Macbook Pro and finally giving up and in the (vain) hope that this will help someone else get OpenSolaris running under Parallels workstation I post the following explanation for how I managed to succesfully get the Nevada Build 47 running.

Before I do that let me congratulate firstly, the Parallels team on a great product. I have been using VMWare server but it seems very slow in comparison to Parallels. I can only assume Parallels is doing something fundamentally different because Solaris seems to run at native speeds. No jerky mouse, Open Office opens and switches between documents virtually instantaneously. Pretty impressive. Ok I am running on an ASUS A8Ja with 1GB RAM, which has a 1.6GHz Core Duo processor and an ATI Radeon X1600.

Secondly the OpenSolaris team, build 47 seems to very slick and fast, awesome, pity I can run Solaris as the host! Soon I am sure. I have been following the builds closely since b30 something and b47 is the first time I have found things to be as solid as the previous JDS release and a lot faster. But maybe its Parallels that makes things seem so much quicker and neater and just plain nice. Open Office 2.0.3 is solid, once you have figured out how to install it and fix the faulty icons - someone please fix the install packages so they refer to the correct icon names (add some dots guys !!). StarOffice seems dated by comparison, bin it guys and replace it with Open Office 2.0.3 the default. I have some very big documents that Word just can't seem to handle.

So just fix two things for me, 1) OpenSolaris on the laptop native with the ability to suspend and hibernate, and 2) Parallels Workstation of Solaris (host) so I can run MS Office...

Solid stuff guys - keep it up.

OK here is the installation procedure I used...

1) Install Parallels Workstation beta 2.2

2) Create an iso image for the nevada b47 on a harddrive somewhere.

3) Create a VM using Solaris 10 and set the CD to the nevada iso image.

4) Boot the VM and press 'e' at the GRUB boot menu. Press 'e' to edit the kernel command so it looks like this

kernel ... -B install_media=cdrom,atapi-cd-dma-enabled=0

5) Press enter and then b to boot. Follow the normal installation procedure. I used the text mode install, option 4.

6) When the system reboots after installation you must modify the kernel command again. At the GRUB boot menu enter 'e' and 'e' again and the add the following to the end of the line

-B atapi-cd-dma-enabled=0

7) Press enter and 'b' to boot. Booting should be fine now. The networking will no work until you have installed the network driver (happens later).

8) Once you have logged in as root edit the /etc/boot/menu.lst and add '-B atapi-cd-dma-enabled=0' to the kernel boot command for the default and safemode boot menu options. This way you don't have to keep adding this command.

So now things should boot fine and if your system is anything like mine the screen resolution will be way too big so you'll want to fix that.

Here is what I did:

1) Run kdmconfig from a terminal session. Select the xorg option. I had to use ESC 2 instead of F2.

2) Reboot the system by typing 'halt' or 'reboot' in a terminal session.

3) Now I ran the /usr/X11/bin/xorgconfig command and selected a PS2 mouse, a 102(intl) keyboard and a vesa (option 0) display adapter. I also selected the 1280x1024 60Hz screen option. Can't recall the other detail. Enter 'y' to save as /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

4) After rebooting I ran the command 'gtf 1280 800' in a terminal session and captured the text output which I then pasted into the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file at the end of the 'Monitor' section. My laptop has a screen resolution of 1280x800.

5) I then modified further down the xorg.cong file and added "1280x800" as the first entry for each display option. The line has other resolutions e.g. "1024x768" 800x600" "640x480" and this one gets added to the beginning of these entries. e.g. "1280x800" "1024x768" 800x600" "640x480"

6) I now disabled the dtlogin and enabled gdm as the login manager. Enter the following commands, preferably from a remote terminal or real quick...

/usr/dt/bin/dtconfig -d
    svcadm enable -s gdm
    pkill dtlogin
    gdm-restart

7) Now you should have the right screen resolution.

8) Finally install the network driver by setting the VM's CD to the Parallels tools iso file located in the C:/Program Files/.... install directory. Run the network.sh script. I then had to run sys-unconfig to sort out the network confusion. I have also only tested networking using the hostonly-network option and this seems to be fine. I can see the Windows XP host and access shared directories.

Cheers...
    duncan