Is Parallels VM able to write to NTFS partition?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by luca, Jul 17, 2006.

1. luca

luca Member

In addition to c: drive, Parallel VM can read/write a disk image or an external USB drive.
    Q1: Can it mount a NTFS partition located on internal drive (of MacBook Pro)?

Q2: Will it be able to WRITE to it? Since Mac OS X can only read it, is it a limitation for VM too?

The reason for this, is I took a backup of my NTFS partition (for Vista) on an external USB drive and I am looking for Parallels to do the restore, since Mac OS X cannot write to it. I don't want to run it.

Thanks,
    Luca

2. wesley

wesley Pro

The ability to read/write a certain partition type is solely limited to the OS that is running inside the VM, given that Parallels offers full raw access to the partition in question. Hence,, if the external USB drive has been formatted as NTFS, it won't be writable from the host OS X, but if the guest OS in the VM is Windows 2000 and up, it would be writable from there.

3. luca

luca Member

I understand Parallels VM would be able to write to the NTFS partition.
    The first question though is how can the VM "see" the INTERNAL partition?
    Now there are 2 ways to access a disk: USB and image file. As the internal partition is neither, how can I make the VM see that partition?

Luca
    MacBook Pro with 1 Mac OS partition and 1 NTFS partition on internal disk