XP affecting MacBook brightness?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Uly-sses, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Uly-sses

Uly-sses Member

When I close XP & Parallels my screen brightness has dropped all the way down?

Has anyone else noticed this behaviour and/or how to prevent it.

Cheers

Jay

2. domim

domim Junior Member

No problems here with MBP 15".

3. BrentB

BrentB Member

Haven't noticed any brightness changes with XP, Ubuntu 6.06, or CentOS 4.3 here. Blackbook/2GB.

4. bmoeskau

bmoeskau Junior Member

YES. I get this fairly consistently now (don't remember it happening prior to several weeks ago). It's very annoying, and on two ocassions now, the brightness has dropped to the point where I cannot see anything and have to turn the laptop off and hard reboot. This is VERY annoying and seems to me to happen when I'm returning from sleep mode usually.

5. dburr

dburr Junior Member

Very odd. I have a MBP 1.83Ghz 15" with 1GB RAM and 100 GB HD, and XP doesn't seem to affect my screen brightness at all. Are you sure that you aren't just coincidentally blocking the ambient light sensor (and thus causing display dimming to kick in)? Try turning that feature off in the Displays system preference panel. Other than that I can't think of any way that a virtual machine can affect the host machine's brightness setting (or any other setting for that matter).

6. bmoeskau

bmoeskau Junior Member

Since I posted my first reply (~3 hours ago) my machine has been sitting in a brightly-lit office and has not moved. I have left my desk (leaving the computer lid open and everything running normally) and come back to find the OSX brightness being all the way down to the left twice now (I normally set it all the way up to the right). The first time, the screen was almost completely black (darker than simply the lowest brightness setting, cannot make out the screen at all) and the second time it was the dypical dark of the lowest setting (can still see things dimly). I am able to use Fn-F2 to bump it back up while within XP (I finally figured out).

I am wondering if it could have anything to do with stuff that might not be set consistently between different peoples' machines (screen savers, power management settings in OSX and/or XP, etc.) I also noticed that this happened once when I locked my OSX session while XP was running -- after unlocking, the screen was completely black.

It's not the end of the world, but man is it pretty damn annoying.