Cannot host Webex meeting in RC2

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by canney151, Jun 5, 2006.

1. canney151

canney151 Bit poster

It seemed to work well in RC1 but now is broke in RC2. This is huge due to the fact that there is no OSX webex client that works with the intel macs.

2. canney151

canney151 Bit poster

FYI, when I go to share anything out, CPU goes through the roof (OSX side) and things pretty much just lock up so I have to kill the Parallels service.

3. John Mac

John Mac Junior Member

I am still running Beta 6 and am too afraid to upgrade to RC2.

The main reason I am using Parallels is for Webex hosting since, as you pointed out, Webex is not supporting Intel MacOSX. I also require Cisco VPN for network access and there are many issues being reported on the Cisco VPN with RC2.

Parallels please comment on the Webex bug and whether there is a workaround. This is a showstopper for me.

Thanks.

4. gmsmith

gmsmith Bit poster

Why not use the Cisco VPN client on the mac side?

Greg

5. canney151

canney151 Bit poster

Webex will be a show stopper for alot of business users.

It works like a champ in RC1, not sure what they did to break it in RC2. This is the only thing holding me back from ordering at this point.

6. John Mac

John Mac Junior Member

Canney151 - can you view a webex presentation but just not host one? The Webex tech support site has a link to automatically join a Webex for testing purposes.

http://developers.webex.com/api/jointest/index.php

Can someone at Parallels confirm the webex hosting problem and acknowledge that it was broken in RC2 and whether it will be fixed in the final release. I am SOL without Webex right now.

Please HELP !

Thanks,

-- JM

7. teach42

teach42 Bit poster

No problems here.

I wonder if something else could be wrong with your setup. I just tried to host a WebEx and it went 100% smooth. Only thing I couldn't do was use the iSight, but I haven't really looked into whether that's supported by Parallels at all.

But as I said, no problems with WebEx at all.

:)

8. John Mac

John Mac Junior Member

teach42,

This is encouraging. Would you mind posting what your config is. I.e,. what Apple hardware and what guest OS you were running webex hosting from (WinXP?). Also were you running WebEx session over a Cisco VPN?

Canney151 - would you mind posting the same info please?

Thanks,

-- JM.

9. John Mac

John Mac Junior Member

I just installed RC2 on another Imac Intel Core duo and was also able to successfully host a Webex so I think this must be an isolated problem.

-- JM.

10. canney151

canney151 Bit poster

I am on a Macbook (black) 2 Gigs of RAM. Running XP SP2. When I host a webex session in RC2 the CPU goes through the roof both in sharing out an application as well as sharing out my desktop. As far as VM memory allocations I have tried about everything (different combinations).

I have tried to host webex using Firefox as well as IE. Like I said, it works fine in RC1 but RC2 kills it. Due to the fact it works like a champ in RC1 I have a hard time thinking its my VM or config of Parallels.

11. canney151

canney151 Bit poster

Teach42. Did you share anything out?

I too can "host" a session but when I share out desktop or application the CPU spins and spins. The mouse also stutters and my machine is unusable.

12. teach42

teach42 Bit poster

WebEx

No, I didn't share anything. Hosted one, chatted a bit, used the whiteboard and exited. I'll try to share a document and desktop when I get home today.

13. John Mac

John Mac Junior Member

I shared a PowerPoint Application successfully. Went through some slides (in and out of slideshow mode). Logged in from another computer and successfullly viewed the presentation with no issues.

The computer I loaded RC2 on was a fresh install (did not have any previous Betas or RCs) and was an iMac, not MacBookPro. Other than that I can't see any differences.

-- JM.

14. batchannel

batchannel Bit poster

WebEx works a little, then hard freezes Parallels

I can usually start a meeting, either sharing out or just attending, but sooner or later I get the spinning pizza of death and have to force quit Parallels. I'm using the latest build of Desktop running WinXP Home SP2. Firefox or Explorer, it doesn't matter.

Any resolution on this issue?

15. gadgetjoe

gadgetjoe Bit poster

Parallels Freezes on WebEx Desktop Share

I am having the same problem. Is there a resolution or a work around? I see a lot of pain, but no relief in this thread.

16. gadgetjoe

gadgetjoe Bit poster

Apparent Fix for WebEx Issue

After playing around in a test WebEx, I have come to the following conclusion. The instability only seems to occur when you are sharing the Desktop. It seems to be stable when you are Sharing Applications or Presenations.

At least that is what it seems.

Hopefully the overall issue will be addressed, but this work around should work for now.

I will post again if, for some reason, it doesn't.

17. gadgetjoe

gadgetjoe Bit poster

Spoke to soon....it is still broken

Sorry for the false optimism. After really pushing it, the behavior demonstrated itself again under Shared Applications.

This is really a problem!

18. gadgetjoe

gadgetjoe Bit poster

19. tangential

tangential Member

Webex Woes continue

I've hit this problem with Webex several times, but only when I am the presenter.

Today I was sharing my desktop and had a telnet session open to unix host. The session 'appeared' to lock up to me (spinning beachball, high CPU usage) but the remote person was able to continue working in the telnet even though nothing was changing on my screen.

He was copying and pasting and whenever the right-click menu would pop up in the telnet, my view of it would lock up for anywhere from 30 to 180 seconds.

I am going to try turning off the shared folders (which don't work worth a darn anyway) and clipboard sharing and see if that makes a difference.

The client is XP SP2 running w/512meg ram. The host is a MBPro w/2gig ram and parallels was pretty much all that was running.

20. White94Cobra

White94Cobra Bit poster

I too am encountering this issue. As soon as i share my desktop, I get the spinning disk of rainbows. I guess I'll have to go back to Bootcamp until this issue is resolved.