Optimizing for Eclipse on WinXP Guest?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by jtf, Jul 16, 2006.

1. jtf

jtf Bit poster

Does anyone have any experience with running Eclipse on WinXP under Parallels? Any tips for improved performance?

In my current configuration compiling seems deadly slow but I think this is mostly because I've got the project using a shared folder. Was hoping someone had already put together some notes on getting the best performance out of this configuration but searching hasn't yielded any such thing so I'm interested in any tips people here might have.

Jtf

2. bnz

bnz Member

it's probably better to use a version control system such as cvs, subversion etc. instead of a shared directory. that way, you can keep your source code as a local working copy everywhere.

3. Paul Linden

Paul Linden Member

I'm curious about why you want to run Eclipse in XP ... Eclipse 3.2 is Universal and runs perfectly fine in OS X and compiles faster than in Parallels. I know I'm not being helpful here, and I'm not criticising you. I'm just wondering if you have some particular reason for needing to use XP.

4. Banacek

Banacek Member

That's what I was wondering as well...

5. jtf

jtf Bit poster

reasonable questions, and I knew it might sounds like an odd request, but I do have a good answer. the company I work for -- Agitar Software -- makes an Eclipse plug-in for developer testing, and our official platforms are Windows and Linux. when I go and talk w/customer I need to be able to reproduce what they're seeing, which means I usually be running our product (and thus eclipse) under Windows.

6. Paul Linden

Paul Linden Member

Reasonable answer. Sorry, as a developer myself, I forget that there are other reasons for installing developer tools. I haven't used eclipse in XP in Parallels, but I have in Linux in Parallels, and didn't have any extreme, noticeable slowness. That was some time ago though, when I was experimenting with an early Parallels Beta, and my workspace was local to the Linux VM.

How big is the difference if you move your workspace to a local XP folder?