VPN issues

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by morwen, Jul 3, 2006.

1. morwen

morwen Member

Okay, so. I work from home quite often. There is one piece of software that I have to run Windows so, so I picked up Parallels.

I use a VPN connection on osx. Everything works fine.

I connect Parallels and connect to the VPN from there as well, it connects fine, our VPN allows more than one login.

Except, the 2nd VPN session to connect, whether it be the osx one or the xp one, will not route. They both think they are still connected to the VPN, but the 2nd connection won't route.

I was trying to get Parallels to just use my osx internet and vpn session, but couldn't seem to get that to work.

Help?

Okay, turns out that work only allows one vpn connection per home router, so...I _have_ to make Parallels share the OSX sides internet and VPN connection. How can I do this?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2006
  2. dafuser

dafuser Bit poster

Did you ever find out if you could make the WinXP VM use the OS X VPN connection?

I thought if I started a VPN connection from the OS X system, then the various VM's would also be able to use the same connections. It doesn't seem to work that way, or if it does I can't see how to implement that option.

3. morwen

morwen Member

No I didn't. :( I thought the same thing, but no go. I used to be able to do this with Virtual PC.

4. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Can you use a Windows-based vpn product?

dp

5. alkalifly

alkalifly Hunter

I have been hoping to do this since I started with Parallels back in B3, and so far I have not had any success.

However, depending on which VPN client you are using, it might not even be a problem with Parallels, but instead a problem with the VPN Client and/or the Mac implementation of internet sharing.

Using Cisco VPN client 4.9.00 for Mac, I decided to run a test using a REAL windows machine and taking Parallels completely out of the picture. So I networked a windows laptop to my mac, shut of the laptop's 802.11 card, connected it to the Mac with a cat. 5 ethernet cable, and started internet sharing on the Mac from Airport over ethernet. The windows laptop gets an internet connection from the Mac just fine, until I connect the Mac to the VPN, at which point internet sharing from the Mac gets totally killed.

The IT staff at my school have been unable to help me, because internet sharing is a feature that is not "officially supported" by them, so they have kindly tried to help me troubleshoot this, but when we don't come up with a solution, they are under no obligation to stick with it so they just give up.

If anyone out there has internet sharing going with a VPN, please tell what VPN client/version you are using, and anything else that might help, thanks.

6. morwen

morwen Member

Yes, but the problem is that I do most of my work in OSX. So I'm vpn'ed in from there. There's only one thing on my Parallels XP that I need to run over the VPN, but if I connect XP to the vpn, it knocks off my osx because you can only have one vpn connection per router ip. :(

7. marct

marct Bit poster

I have been by using my VPN connection through OS X. I added the server folder I have on OS X to the shared folders in parallels. Once I have started parallels, I launch the application I need (Quickbooks for Win most of the time) I point it to the data files in the parallels shared folder (the files on my server) then I am up and running. I hope this helps.

8. morwen

morwen Member

Uhm, no, but thanks. :) Our issue isn't that the VPN in Windows in Parallels isn't working, its that its not using the OS X VPN network connection.

9. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

My understanding of VPN's is that they will not, by design, allow IP forwarding so routing is out of the question. I have the same issue with my Solaris systems running Cisco VPN. It also overwrites the /etc/resolv.conf file while active.

I would consider it a security hole if my airport or other nic was routing traffic to my office environment. But it wouldn't be the craziest thing I've seen, either.

dp

10. gcox18

gcox18 Bit poster

I can't even get my Windows VPN software to work when I'm within parallels. I'm using SoftRemoteLT. It will connect fine, but I cannot ping anything on the remote network. And no, my Parallels IP is not on the same subnet as the remote network.

Any ideas?