HDD Confusion

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by enthios, Jul 20, 2006.

1. enthios

enthios Member

In the configuration editor, my "virtual disk size" is 6000 MB. Clicking on the Advanced tab, it says the actual size of the disk image file is 416 MB. Checking the actual size of the WINXP.HDD file, that shows as 4410 MB.

Which is which??

I would like to know because WinXP keeps telling me that my "hard disk is almost full".

Also, apparently my disk format is "expanding." What is that? I checked the help files in the Image Tool and there is no explanation.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

2. actionj

actionj Bit poster

I too need to know what's the deal with this as I'm experiencing the same problems. I used the Image Tool to expand the hd image and found that windows sees he expanded portion of the hard drive as unallocated space, when I needed it to expand the size of the C drive. Is there a straight-forward solution?

3. detayls

detayls Junior Member

Expanding 12gb drive limited to 8gb original size...

I am having this problem too! I started with an 8gb expanding drive and then used the tool to resize to an expanding 12gb drive. For whatever reason Windows XP still sees the drive as only 8gb.

Help!!!! :confused:

David

4. Having same problem...

I'm having the same problem where I have changed the size of my expanding hard drive image and WinXP SP2 isn't recognizing the new size. Very frustrating!! This product is useless to me right now because of this.

5. enthios

enthios Member

Sounds as if we're al having the same problem. It would be great if someone from Parallels would respond here to give us some advice!

6. Robster

Robster Hunter

Hi

You are having a WindowsXP issue NOT a Parallels issue.

You have resized your disk but Windows now needs to figure out it has the extra space.

Follow this thread and there are a couple of suggested solutions.

I also had this problem but fixed it fromthis thread.

Robin

http://forums.parallels.com/thread1481.html