USB modems inside of Parallels - Apple USB Modem support (NOT just internet sharing)

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by stevesteffler, Jul 10, 2006.

1. stevesteffler

stevesteffler Bit poster

USB modems inside of Parallels - NOT for internet sharing

Hi!

Although I've seen lots of posts about getting your dialup internet connection bridged over to Parallels so that Parallels doesn't need to use your computer's built in modem, what I am urgently in need of (well, urgently because my trial period with Parallels isn't going to last forever ;) ) is support for Parallels to use a dialup modem for other serial connections (i.e. other than connecting to the internet).

My company uses Ceridian's payroll services and for years we have had our accountant use a Windows laptop to send payroll information because the version of their software we have purchased is Windows-only and communicates via a dialup modem to their servers (not over the internet). She has decided to upgrade to a MacBookPro, since she also uses an eMac on her desk for her day to day job requirements and only uses the Windows PC for payroll. (we are a mac-based design and marketing company). We purchased the MacBook Pro's optional USB modem for this purpose along with the computer.

What would be a dream would be if Parallels would simply emulate a standard modem on a serial port that mapped to any Mac OS X dialup modems that are present. This would allow people to do faxing and dialups into VPNs from operating systems within parallels without worrying about modem drivers / bridging network connections/etc.

Failing this, does anyone have a solution to getting a dialup modem to operate within Parallels running Windows, or one that would coerce the Apple USB modem into being accessable from within XP?

I have been looking around on the internet and it seems that with a combination of the console-based UNIX application 'cu' and clever use of the socket functionality in Parallels, it could be done. The Apple USB modem creates /dev/cu.usbmodem and /dev/tty.usbmodem device files in the UNIX subsystem underneath Mac OS X. However, I have no idea how to use the sockets that Parallels creates and it isn't documented anywhere that I can find.

How do I connect a USB modem's input and output to that socket file that Parallels creates when you set up an emulated serial port?

Any advice would be appreciated. Also, it's a rather timely matter since we got a trial installation of Parallels installed but we can't test this out until we figure out a way to make it work. D'oh!

Steve Steffler

Last edited: Jul 10, 2006
  2. rng

rng Junior Member

I need to be able to connect directly to a wind turbine using Apple's USB modem under WinXP in Parallels Desktop. However, Parallels doesn't seem to notice the modem at all. Parallels also doesn't see a Sidewinder Force feedback joystick through a USB/Parallel port adaptor. MacOSX sees both devices. Any ideas? /Göran

3. aplnub

aplnub Member

I would be happy if someone could reccomend a USB modem that worked in XP. I need to use PC Anywhere for work and this has me all screwed up.

4. rnomad

rnomad Junior Member

Modem

I connected a US Robotics modem using a serial link via Keyspan USB-19H. I installed the drivers on the Parallels instance and uninstalled them on the Mac. I then plugged it in and it worked fine as COM3. This is a legacy modem but there are some home security and automation systems that still work with a 300 baud connection.

5. davert

davert Member

Any way to pressure Apple into making Windows drivers for their modem? Can't believe it would be THAT hard.

6. rng

rng Junior Member

7. petro

petro Member

If you have a USB serial adapter (I have a Keyspan), you can try this:
    http://eudyptes.com/SerialClient.php

I've heard people have success getting it to talk to a MacOS supported external modem.

Thanks to Eudyptes for a great tool to make Parallels talk to serial devices!

Now if someone could tell me a trick to get it to work with my Apple USB modem so I could use it to dial from a Door Security app in Windows I'd be set!

8. frankfb

frankfb Bit poster

Apple USB modem work-around

I was not able to get Parallels to use the Apple USB modem to without the Error; ...Wait 5-10 seconds... find application that blocked up the device... Tried almost everything posted on the support forum without success.

Needing a work-around, I connected a US Robotics serial port modem using a USB to DB9 Serial adapter (CompUSA) via a modem cable, installed the adapter drivers on Parallels (not OSX) and the serial adapter comes up in Parallels as COM3. On connecting the US Robotics modem, let Win 2000 automatically find and install drivers for the US Robotics modem.

The work-around works fine and now have IMac 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo access to legacy dial-up modems from within the Win applications.

9. Daisiechain

Daisiechain Bit poster

Hello,

I downloaded the SerialClient software by Eudyptes in order to get connectivity to a serial port. I desperately need to be able to do this. I have a Macbook Pro and I teach Cisco classes. I installed Parallels on my laptop and I need to be able to connect to a router with a rollover cable. The rollover cable is a RS232 or DB-9. I purchased a USB to DB-9 connector but I can't get Windows to recognize it. I added a Serial port in the configuration of Parallels and when I try to connect to Hyperterminal it appears to connect but it just hangs there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

10. petro

petro Member

My recommendation is to get a Keyspan 19-QW adapter. It works just fine. I've had problems in the past with various USB to serial adapters from smaller companies.

I've used mine to get serial access to Cisco routers before in windows, so I know it works.

That said, why don't you just use the Keyspan adapter natively in MacOS, using a comm program like the freeware package Zterm? That's what I use to connect to routers, switches, etc.