iSight support?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by jdnaylor, Apr 10, 2006.

1. jdnaylor

jdnaylor Bit poster

Quick question, does (or will) Parallels support the iSight under XP?

2. metfoo

metfoo Bit poster

sp doesnt support the iSight, so I highly doubt it will work. I havent tried mine yet. If they can pass the video through some sort of aabstraction layer, then it might, but since its virtualized, I doubt it will happen.

Anyone know of a windows iSight driver?

3. brettw

brettw Member

iSight is only supported under OS X. There is a video only driver for it somewhere out there and I've seen a separate audio for it too though I've not tried either.

But why would you need it ? Why not just fire up iChat under OS X since VM is running under OS X anyway ?

4. blackcrayon

blackcrayon Bit poster

Because there are several video conferencing applications that are Windows only, or that have very poor webcam support in their mac version (Yahoo! Instant Messenger is one example).

5. w5hro

w5hro Bit poster

There are drivers, but not for Parallels Desktop

Apple just released Boot Camp 1.1 which has the Windows drivers for the iSight camara and mic, but there currently is not any way to extract the drivers to use with Parallels Desktop. You must create the Windows partition and boot Windows using Apple's Boot Camp. Parallels should add the drivers to Parallels Desktop if possible. Also, the Apple number keys on the keyboard still don't work with Parallels Desktop either.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2006
  6. VTMac

VTMac Pro

There are ways to extract the drivers and get them installed in Parallels. People on this forum have done it. The problem is that the drivers require USB2 and Parallels is USB1.1. Oh so close, but no cigar.

7. orbison

orbison Junior Member

8. hussainahm

hussainahm Member

i extracted the drivers but the problem is Parallels doesn't detect the built-in iSight on my iMac or MacBook so it's not listed in Device Manager

9. nycruza

nycruza Hunter

Have you tried the Parallels beta?
    It works for me - MacBook Pro.

10. Ainvar

Ainvar Member

You got the sight camera working in your parallels install on your MBP?

11. Sherminator

Sherminator Bit poster

I think that the poster meant that when Parallels Tools is installed, the virtual XP recognizes the iSight camera, but cannot do anything with it (i.e. no drivers). Like it was with me.

However if he can find drivers for it, I hope he returns to tell us how he got Parallels to use the camera.

12. Victor

Victor Member

How about the external isight, i.e. the firewire version? I have a Phillips USB webcam and a Benq webcam that came with my monitor, but they dont work either.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2006
  13. palter

palter Hunter

Parallels doesn't support Firewire devices.

14. Victor

Victor Member

So Ive found out :(

15. gopher

gopher Bit poster

Last edited: Dec 22, 2006