How to make an ISO disk.

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by chasisaac, Jul 21, 2006.

1. chasisaac

chasisaac Bit poster

I have a great use for Parallels however, I need to make an iso disk on the mac?

What software do I use.

2. ccparallels

ccparallels Member

It's unclear how your question related to Parallels? Please rephrase.

3. chasisaac

chasisaac Bit poster

I need to have an ISO disk to attach to a parallels virutal machine. I do not want to carry the cd around with me all the time.

Therefore, I need to figure out how to make an ISO disk not a TOAST or DMG.

ci

4. macCesar

macCesar Bit poster

I've found this Windows program to do what you want.

http://www.ezbsystems.com/ultraiso/

As many windows programs, the interface is not easy to understand...

But I was able to convert a .bin/cue image created with Toast into an .iso image.

The program is shareware, but you can try it (and convert the necessary files) before you buy it. ;-)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2006
  5. n4khq

n4khq Member

just use apple disk utility to burn a image and change the extension to .iso

6. e7sharp9

e7sharp9 Member

7. andymac

andymac Bit poster

I might be missing something here, but the program necessary to create an iso disc image is installed at the same time as the full relese version of Parallels. Check out Apps/Parallels.

Cheers,

8. Delphyne

Delphyne Member

If hdiutil doesn't do it for you, you can do the following. This example uses the Macintosh Drivers disk that you burn in bootcamp, but this will apply to any cd, substituting the right name in place of "MacintoshDrivers." In Terminal:

Code:
    diskutil list
    You'll get a list that looks something like this:

/dev/disk0
    #: type name size identifier
    0: GUID_partition_scheme *111.8 GB disk0
    1: EFI 200.0 MB disk0s1
    2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 81.0 GB disk0s2
    3: Microsoft Basic Data Untitled 30.5 GB disk0s3
    /dev/disk1
    #: type name size identifier
    0: CD_partition_scheme *96.9 MB disk1
    1: CD_ROM_Mode_1 MacintoshDrivers 84.4 MB disk1s0

Look over this list and find the name of the CD you want to make a copy of, in this case "MacintoshDrivers." Make not of the last column on the same line, in this case "disk1s0."

Unmount the disk without ejecting:

Code:
    diskutil unmount /Volumes/MacintoshDrivers
    Make the ISO using a block by block copy:

Code:
    dd if=/dev/disk1s0 of=/Users/MyName/Desktop/MacintoshDrivers.iso
    This will take some time, and dd diplays nothing while it's working. if you want to observe it's progress, you open up Activity Monitor to make sure it hasn't hung up, you can look at the Disk Activity page.

Standard unix filename principals are in play here, if you want spaces in the name you'll have to quote the iso name or add escapes. If you don't know what that means, it's probably best to just name it something really simple like cd.iso and rename it once its done.

As an unrelated side-note, dd is the perfect tool for recovering some data on a corrupt disk. You can use the "noerror" flag and it'll continue copying even if it encounters errors.

Edit: Or... you can use the tool that Parallels provided to do it for you... I hadn't even bothered to look for it :p

9. virek

virek Member

Or you could use

hdiutil

type man hdiutil for more info

10. forkart

forkart Bit poster

I suggest MagicISO. It does a good work on making iso image.
    http://www.magiciso.com/

11. Sheppy

Sheppy Hunter

Dragon Burn can make ISO images.

For that matter, so can Toast. And the CDR/DVD master disk image format created by Disk Utility is, I think, the same file format as ISO.

12. paidhi

paidhi Bit poster

I'm a little bit confused. Can anyone confirm that .toast = .dmg = .iso ?

13. clarkn

clarkn Junior Member

.toast = .iso ..is close to a .dmg

.toast files are the same as .iso images (for the most part). Some .dmg files are compressed I think but usually they can be burned just like an iso.

14. bobodobo

bobodobo Member

I must be missing the point of this thread, but anyway here goes...

Parallels Desktop comes with a Mac application called "Parallels Image Tool." Open it, and one can easily create an ISO disk image from a physical CD. Only problem is, from Parallels Desktop, if you try to mount the image for use within Windows using "Devices / CD/DVD-ROM n / Connect image..." and navigate to your newly created image, it will be grayed out and you can't select it. For some reason, the Parallels Image Tool doesn't automatically add the ".iso" extension needed. If you manually add the extension, the disk image works exactly as you would expect (and want) it to.

Why does Parallels make something so simple so complicated?