Problem with VPN in OSX after installing Parallels

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by CactusBob, Jun 25, 2006.

1. CactusBob

CactusBob Bit poster

I just downloaded and installed Parallels to give it a try on my MacBook. I use my MacBook to connect to my company's VPN and drive some Windows machines remotely using Microsoft's Remote Desktop Connection (RDC). All of this is done straight from OSX (not using Parallels at all for this purpose). After installing Parallels and without having even opened the app, I cannot connect to any of my remote machines unless I set the VPN to send all traffic over the VPN connection (something I do not wish to do). Parallels seems to be modifying something in my network settings that is causing this behavior as I can simply uninstall Parallels and everything returns to normal (Microsoft's RDC connects to my remote machines via my VPN connection without having to route all traffic over the VPN). Any idea what may be going on here?

Thanks for any suggestions,
    Todd

2. CactusBob

CactusBob Bit poster

Has no one else seen this problem at all? I really would like to purchase Parallels as I could certainly use it for my job but this one issue is preventing me from being able to do so.

3. bfishbein@sammiejo.com

bfishbein@sammiejo.com Bit poster

I did not have the problem you are describing. MY Cisco VPN client continues to work flawless from OS X, either with Parallels running, or without. Sorry I can't be of any help.

4. CactusBob

CactusBob Bit poster

Thanks for the reply. I am just using the standard OSX VPN configuration (via Internet Connect) and have not been able to get this to work outside of channeling all traffic over the VPN as described above. I am hoping someone will have seen something similar.

5. forthy

forthy Bit poster

Hi,

had the same problem with my Cisco VPN client too. I changed the DHCP range in parallels. The 10.x.x.x net was the same net we use in our private network..

I changed the dhcp range to 172.16.x.x

Regards, Stephan

6. CactusBob

CactusBob Bit poster

Excellent! I tried this and it did not seem to work, but after a reboot, I now no longer have to route all traffic over the VPN. Thanks a lot for suggestion. I had not even thought about the possibility that the DHCP ran in Parallels was causing my problem.

Todd

7. bash

bash Bit poster

same issue

I'm having the same issue, but i think mine maybe more strange

We use specific vpn software (i think, i'm no vpn expert) that requires a software install.

I have to use a RSA key fab to type in some satellite number that changes every 60 seconds. The instructions i have from work are for windows, so i got parallels and installed windows. (I had this work in the past for vmware, and just assumed it would work...)

No such luck.

I can connect via the vpn, but I cannot ping/remote desktop into anything..... not sure what the issue is but i'll let you know if i get it resolved.

Any suggestions appreciated.

8. tcv

tcv Bit poster

What IP address range are you getting from the VPN?

Do they conflict with what you have either in Parallels or OS X?

9. CactusBob

CactusBob Bit poster

Also, when you try to ping and/or connect, are you doing so via the machine name or IP? I was just wondering if perhaps it was some sort of DNS issue.