Support for Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by limec, Jul 19, 2006.

1. limec

limec Member

I know Ubuntu is not listed as a supported client OS.

One problem I have with running Ubuntu under Parallels is that it cannot read CD/CDROM/DVDROM by saying "This disc doesn't have any tracks I recognize!" in the error log.

I just wonder if there's anyone here that is NOT having this problem.

Also, you cannot allocate more that 512MB to Ubuntu, otherwise it will just hang on booting up.

2. namery

namery Member

"I know Ubuntu is not listed as a supported client OS"
    I wasn't aware that this was the case, I know they haven't written Parallels Tools to be compatible with Linux, but heard it was in the pipeline.

"I just wonder if there's anyone here that is NOT having this problem"
    I don't have this problem, Ubuntu runs perfectly well for me. I have version 5.04.

"Also, you cannot allocate more that 512MB to Ubuntu, otherwise it will just hang on booting up."
    I have allocated 612MB (I have 2GB total) and it runs perfectly.

3. limec

limec Member

Namery, can I confirm that your Ubuntu under Parallels can read CDs? Mine runs "perfectly", except that it cannot recognize any CDs inserted. :(

4. namery

namery Member

OK, I have had no problems in the past with CD/DVDs on UBuntu via Parallels, but perfomred some tests just now, inserted CD's DVDs of various formats (Mac/PC/Audio etc.) and it doesn't seem to like any of them any more (though they worked like a week ago, haven't changed anything...

5. limec

limec Member

I'm having this problem on the MacBook, I'm wondering if you're also using MacBook?

6. BrentB

BrentB Member

This doesn't seem to affect everyone. I've run my Ubuntu VM at 1024M, 512M, and 256M without issues.

Not sure what the common thread is yet.

7. namery

namery Member

yes its a macbook

8. limec

limec Member

I see that you're also using a MacBook, so what variable is it dependent on? I could sometimes sucessfully run Ubuntu VM at more than 512MB but most of the times it couldn't.

By the way, BrentB, can your Ubuntu VM read CD/DVD?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2006
  9. georgemoore13

georgemoore13 Junior Member

I also have a Macbook. I couldn't get the VM to read cds either. As for the RAM issue, from what I have heard, It usually hangs at about 1024 MB RAM, but some people have gotten it to work.
    (running 6.06)

10. veggiedude

veggiedude Hunter

I thought I read somewhere that there was some special tools for Ubuntu. Is that true? Is there a download link to it? I'm not having any problems in Ubuntu, just curious.

11. dotcomjunkie

dotcomjunkie Member

Ubuntu 5.10 on MBP Working Fine

I am running Ubuntu on my worstation (a Macbook Pro 15.4") and it runs great...although I had to install 5.10 - I could never get 6.06 to work - video problems.

12. BrentB

BrentB Member

I know at one point it had to, as I installed from the DVD =)

Since then I've just accessed everything over the network, so I haven't needed to use a disc. I'll test it out today when I have a chance.

13. BrentB

BrentB Member

Just tested two known good discs, one CD (a QA CD for a product my company sells), one DVD (An Ubuntu LiveDVD I've installed from). In both cases:

1) OSX doesn't mount the disc (correct behaviour for passing through to Parallels)
    2) Parallels sees the disc (activity shown on the CD icon in the status bar, correct behaviour)
    3) Ubuntu recognizes a disc has been inserted (icon shows on the desktop, correct behaviour)
    4) Looking at /media/cdrom/ shows no files.
    5) In /var/log/syslog, an error message "This disc doesn't have any tracks I recognize!" appears.

Parallels folk: I'd be happy to provide any additional information about this you may need. Just let me know what you need sent.

14. jrstinkfish

jrstinkfish Bit poster

Ubuntu is the only Linux distro I've been able to successfully install in Parallels. Mandriva, I couldn't find a graphics adapter that wouldn't cause screen scrambling after booting. SUSE, I kept getting errors when it was trying to format the swap partition. Ubuntu took forever to install, but the install had zero problems and it actually boots with no issues.

15. extensivegroup

extensivegroup Member

Did you install 6.06 or 5?

What settings did you use to create the VM? i.e. version of Linux, how much RAM, etc.?

I would love to try to install 6.06 Server -- does anyone know if this works?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2006
  16. jrstinkfish

jrstinkfish Bit poster

I used version 5, just using the "Other Linux" option with 256MB of RAM, 8GB drive, installing from an iso -- didn't change any of the other settings (except boot order initially). It seemed like it took longer than XP to install, but since it was actually right in the end, I didn't mind. I suppose it's probably the most "dumbed-down" Linux installation process I've seen, but I'm no Linux expert, so I appreciated it.

Off-topic gripe: Why do Windows and Linux insist on stopping at various places during the install for user input??

17. peterwor

peterwor Hunter

Not sure what to tell you guys who are having problems. I'm running Kubuntu (Ubuntu with KDE desktop) 6.06 just fine. The one thing I would recommnd is to install using "Debina" linux as Ubuntu is actually a Debian offshoot, or so I believe.
    At any rate, I have full sound, networking, graphics, mouse and CD/DVD support on my MBP.
    Its working just fine here...

HTH,
    Peter

18. bigman

bigman Member

I have the same problem. And shutting down ubuntu results in a hang with full cpu
    load by parallels. I hope the next version of parallels comes very soon.

19. Stubb

Stubb Bit poster

Also doesn't work with images

I'm having the same problem reading DVDs using Ubuntu 6.06 and Parallels build 1848. Interestingly, I used Disk Utility to make a DVD/CD master file on my hard drive and tried attaching it. Same problem.

Cheers,

Andreas

20. ceenvee703

ceenvee703 Bit poster

I'm another Ubuntu 6.06 user who is having the problem with reading CDs or DVDs. This is on a MacBook Pro 2GHz with 2GB of RAM, using 6.06 in a Debian Linux virtual machine, and Parallels build 1848.

I too was having a problem booting Ubuntu unless I set the memory to 512MB. I will note that, at that time, my MBP only had 1GB of RAM.... I just tried increasing RAM to 764MB to see if it will boot, doesn't look like it's going to, nope, it's crashed just after "loading hardware drivers."

But my main concern is the CD or DVD reading, or lack thereof. Thanks.