Shared IP?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by swortis, Apr 10, 2006.

1. swortis

swortis Bit poster

I'm not able to get the guest OS (WinXP) to connect to the internet at all. With a manually entered IP number all I can do is ping the gateway, but can't seem to do anything else. No web connectivity etc.

What I need to do, ultimately, is have WinXP pull the same IP number from the DHCP server, as the Mac side is doing - like VirtualPC's "Shared Networking" choice. Is this even possible with Parallels?

Question: When creating a new "Ethernet adapter" should I input the same ethernet address as is in the Macintosh?

Thanks,
    Shaun

2. dgranda

dgranda Bit poster

Are you using static IP's on your router mapped to MAC addresses? The advanced tab on the network adapter lets you change the mac address of the emulated adapter. You can steal the address from another computer on your network (take other computer off the network while you try this) and use it in parallels, does it work then?

3. swortis

swortis Bit poster

Alas, these are not static IPs. This is a centralized DHCP (Faculty of Arts & Sciences at a big University). I cannot "borrow" an IP number from another machine.

I have been able to manually input the same IP that DHCP gave the Mac, and can ping the router, but still no web connection at all.

Very odd..

4. dgranda

dgranda Bit poster

I'm no network guy, bu I would imagine that a university would use MAC controlled access to their network. Otherwise anyone who adds a computer could access the network. If you clone a MAC from one of the other computers, then disconnect that computer, set the MAC for your VM in Parallels, the network won't think that your the other real computer and assign you two IPs? One for your Mac and the other for your VM? Setting the IP's to be the same for sure doesn't work.

5. swortis

swortis Bit poster

That definitely should work. Unfortunately we can't keep the other computer offline. I guess we'll have to wait until Parallels truely supports host-only networking

6. maser

maser Bit poster

(as a new forum member in your same situation...)

Is the only way to get IP activity in XP within this is to use another IP address? I did that and it worked, but couldn't figure out if it's possible to "share" the IP address of the Mac -- like Virtual PC does it.

Anybody really know?

7. ZeeG

ZeeG Member

This is what I would expect when I install Paralles. (I ordered a MBP and I am still waiting)
    I'm also in an university, and cannot get additional ip address for the bridged network.
    In case of VMWare, it has NAT feature, so VMWare can create an internal ip for a guest os.

However, I think there might be a solution for this by using "Sharing" feature of your mac.
    Open "System Preferences" and click "Sharing".
    And then choose a network card for "Share your connection from:"
    And then press "Start" button to share internet.

I haven't tried this since I don't have any intel mac right now.
    I will post my result when I have one.
    Meanwhile, could you just try this if you can make it work with this?