Windows USB scanner not being "seen" in Parallels

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by slidaho, Jul 26, 2006.

1. slidaho

slidaho Bit poster

I have a Canon 4200F (USB connection) that works with Windows, but not Mac (per Canon's website). I have Windows XP Service Pack 2 running in Parallels (USB recognization is turned on). I have installed the driver and programs that came with the scanner, I have also downloaded Canon's latest XP driver and tools for this scanner -- MULTIPLE TIMES -- uninstalling between attempts. While Parallels' USB icon and Windows' scanner section and the Device Driver's USB Controllers will indicate that the scanner is hooked up, the tools and image programs that came with the scanner do not recognize that the scanner exists.

I have tried Canon's troubleshooting pages. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get this problem solved? A universal driver would be wonderful -- esp. if it would allow my scanner to work on the Mac side, but I'd be thrilled with anything.

Thank you!

2. joem

joem Forum Maven

If you have a look around the forum, you will find that current Parallels USB support is, shall we say, incomplete. They say they are working on improving it, but currently, there are many devices that don't work in the guest VM. Your device is probably one of them.

3. n4khq

n4khq Member

I have had good success with usb devices. Garmin etrex vista Cx, All memory sticks if have tried. I assume you are plugging in the device after you boot into XP so that parallels can capture the device for XP. To get the garmin to work, I had to uninstall the driver in XP download an update from Garmin and manually point to the downloaded driver. I had had the same problem on a dell or I would have assumed it was a parallels problem.
    My biggest problem with xp is the constant fight with the device manager and the yellow triangles. I know parallels has some issues with USB but it could also be an issue with XP.