Web Server ...

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by micpringle, Jul 27, 2006.

1. micpringle

micpringle Bit poster

Hi,

Does anyone know if its possible to access web pages being served by Apache on a linux distro running through parallels, by a web browser on the host os, is this case OS X !?

If so, can you offer any help on what I need to do to set this up !?

Thanks in advance.

-Mic

2. imij

imij Bit poster

Hi Mic,

Yes, it's definitely possible as I have Apache serving up a PHP based application from a Debian guest in Parallels and can connect to it from Mac OS X.

The only thing you really need to know is the IP address of the guest OS, if you can set a static one all the better.

Just enter the IP address into Safari's address bar and you should connect just fine.

If you're using a dynamic IP address then from within Linux run "ifconfig -a" and look for the IP address assigned to the eth0 interface or similar.

Regards,

Ian

3. micpringle

micpringle Bit poster

Hey Ian,

Thanks for the response, will definetley try that out.

Does the VM have it's own MAC address then !? So I can get the router to supply the same IP each time it boots up !?

Thanks again

-Mic

4. joem

joem Forum Maven

For wired ethernet, the VM has its own MAC address. For Airport, it doesn't (last I checked in one of the betas) but you can change it by eidting the VM.

5. Dr.Tech

Dr.Tech Bit poster

Did anyone get this ( linux webserver on a local network) to work?

I just installed the build of Fedora Core 6 posted at this site.
    I did all of the updates; installed AMP and the webserver works on the FC6-side as localhost and as 127.0.0.1

I can not hit it from the iMac side nor from another box.

Performing "ifconfig -a" in terminal mode on the FC6 install shows the ethernet card as 10.0.1.7 but it is not displaying in the mac-side browsers.

Any help is appreciated

L

6. milesce

milesce Member

Sounds like you need to switch to shared networking instead of host-only. We're using a macbook pro in our office now to run 2 vm's (one fedora core, the other windows) running web-based network management software. Both have DHCP reservations set against the VM's mac address, and its working fine.