Problem Installing SuSE 10.1

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by RandyS, May 21, 2006.

1. RandyS

RandyS Member

Hi,

I retrieved the DVD image announced to the SuSE Announcements email list via this torrent:

SUSE-Linux-10.1-DVD-i386-10.1

(http: //download.opensuse.org/distribution/SL-10.1/SUSE-Linux-10.1-GM-DVD-i386.torrent)

I have verified the checksum of the disc I burned from the .iso image I downloaded via this torrent using YaST’s “Media Check†function (using my existing 10.0 setup running on a separate box).

Here’s what happens when I boot this disc and run the installer in a newly created Parallels VM: Everything goes fine until I get to the installer screen that lets you configure the system you want installed. In the “Overview†tab it shows “Partitioning,†“Software†and “Languageâ€. But in the Software section it shows “No catalog found at 'dvd:///?devices%3d%2fdev%2fhdb'†(yes, in red). The same is true in the “Software†section of the “Expert†tab.

Entering the Software section shows a properly formatted package selection display that is devoid of content.

Has anyone seen this? If so, you have you solved the problem? If you have, please let me know what you did to fix it.

By the way, the VM is configured for 768 MB RAM and host-only networking (in anticipation of applying the wireless networking work-around described in another thread). The DVD drive is mapped to IDE 0:1 (the default). I tried other assignments for the DVD drive, but then the Parallels BIOS does not see it and will not boot the installer.

I’m running Parallels RC on a MacBook Pro running Mac OS X 10.4.6 with all the latest system software and firmware updates applied.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Randall Schulz

2. Jan Wittrodt

Jan Wittrodt Member

Interesting. I have suse 10.1 up and running pretty well, though I used CD iso's instead of DVD image. Tried the DVD image and revieved the same error.

Despite of this DVD specific error I don't had a problem using a all in one Windows XP DVD. So it might related to the DVD image and not parallels.

Try the CD iso's and see if it works.

3. sloosley

sloosley Member

I've got the same issue as RandyS when installing SUSE 10.1 from a DVD.

I get the error message: No catalog found at 'dvd:///?devices%3d%2fdev%2fhdb' (yes, in red). The same is true in the Software section of the Expert tab.

Anyone find a work around for this?

4. fritza

fritza Bit poster

Workaround for the unseen dvd device in SuSE 10.1

The published workaround is to go back to the very start (abort out of the first screen of the graphical installer) and install-a-kernel-module/file-system-module/UFS. This makes the DVD readable.

I've got a later problem, to which I've not yet found a solution: The formatter quits with "error -3030" as it attempts to write the swap partition /dev/hda2. This seems to be an FAQ, but the only responses have been to jeer at whoever asks it: You must have done something wrong (oh yes? my question is: WHAT DID I DO WRONG?); maybe Parallels doesn't support that format (Parallels is emulating the drive, as a block-level device -- the kernel layer is what deals with formats); try another file system (dude, it's a swap partition; it has to have a swap filesystem); your DVD/CD is defective (I'm running off an .iso virtual image, and have also tried the same image burned to a DVD, which compared clean with the .iso; I get the same problem with both local- and net-media installations); your HD is formatted wrong or otherwise defective (it's a virtual disk; it gets presented as a blank ATA drive every time); I don't have that problem (well, I DO); I have that problem, too (oh I see; they weren't going to answer this question without your added celebrity?).

And Fedora Core 5 (which admittedly does not partition the system drive) works fine.

Why are there no internet guides on "How to Give Smart Answers"?

-- F

5. sloosley

sloosley Member

I feel your pain fritza. I too seem to garner my share of "Smart Answers." Life ...

Thanks for pointing the way forward, albeit to another roadblock :)

-s

6. bigman

bigman Member

Has somebody found a solution, yet?
    I am getting this error, too.

7. sloosley

sloosley Member

hey bigman. My 'solution' to SUSE was to dump it.

I downloaded the CD's for 10.2 beta 2, installed, and hacked around for several hours. I could never get the display to work correctly. I edited the xorg.conf file until I was rummy and finally hit DELETE

I've had good luck with both Fedora and Ubuntu, the current releases. Initially I favored Ubuntu, but now I am leaning to Fedora. It seems to have more user-control features.

my 2 cents

8. bigman

bigman Member

hi sloosley,

this might be a solution. :)
    Do you have CD/DVD problems under ubuntu fedora?
    I am always seeing empty CSs/DVDs when automatically mounted
    by gnome/kde. When mounting manually I can see the content. That's
    why I wanted to give SuSE a try. But no luck, yet.

Thanks nevertheless,
    bigman