RHEL 4, CentOS woes

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by rsmithgi, Jul 28, 2006.

1. rsmithgi

rsmithgi Bit poster

I am having no luck with RHEL4 or CentOS. Virtual Machine exits shortly after having completed an install. Once that happens the VM will no longer boot. I have tried RHEL4 twice and CentOS once. So far, I have just wasted a lot of time.

Anyone having any success with either OS?

2. dmw3

dmw3 Bit poster

Re: RHEL4 woes

We have RHEL 4 running under Parallels without problem. Are able to update and run any app needed. Have also been able to install Oracle 10g R2 in RHEL 4 under Parallels with only a few minor issues mainly relating to Oracles install script.

3. BrentB

BrentB Member

I spend pretty much all day in a CentOS 4 VM. Installed without a hitch. Works quite well.

Installed on 1024MB, but have since scaled the VM back to 512MB so I can run a second 512MB VM concurrently.

4. rsmithgi

rsmithgi Bit poster

I have been using an external firewire drive to store the .pvs and .hdd files. The drive was formatted with the unix files system because I need the file system to be case sensitve. Today I make a clone of an existing Redhat EL 4 virtual machine and stored the clone on the internal drive. So far it seems to work.

Does anyong know of any problems with virtual machines on exernal drives or drives formatted with the unix file system?

5. BrentB

BrentB Member

No problems with a VM on an external here. I don't use the unix filesystem, though.