Using an Intel Mac using Parallels to a Novell Network?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by med8or, Aug 1, 2006.

1. med8or

med8or Bit poster

Hoping for some honest and objective advice. I have taken a position at a University and need to purchase a computer (laptop). Like most organizations, the knowledge about macs is limited. I have been told that if I got a new Macbook, I would not be supported. This isn't all that uncommon and I'm rather tech savvy (I read newsgroups well and have had to learn a lot to exist in a PC world).

The univeristy is using a Novell network. They have indicated that I wouldn't be able to connect to the network drives...though I'm not sure the tech people really know what they are talking about. (Like those who think that Macs are only for graphics).

Anyways....can I function in a Novell environment using Parallels? Would I give up anything? Can I still print, etc? Network drives?

Please..what do I need to know???

Thanks!

Jay

2. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

3. mconners

mconners Bit poster

Jay,

I have Parallels running on my MacBook in our Novell evironment and it works GREAT! I even have our mapped network drives working well and Groupwise running well. I went a step further and changed the My Documents Folders location to point to my physical location on my Macs own home folder. I would caution people to make sure they have great virus protection and so on before chaging the location to a physical location like this.

It is explained really well here: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20060627224930338&query=parallels

If you have other questions Jay, just let me know. I am glad to help if I have the time.

Mick

4. arfore

arfore Bit poster

How do you have you're networking setup?

I installed the latest version of the Novell Client for Win XP and I can't connect to our tree. It works fine on the real Windows box, but not in Parallels.

All I get is a "Tree or Server can't be found" message. Should it matter that I am running shared networking instead of bridged ethernet (which would require my network admin to issue another ip)?

Thanks,
    Andy

5. arfore

arfore Bit poster

I found the problem. It involved the setup of the Novell client. Since shared networking is doing NAT on the virtual machine, I had to configure the Scope and Directory Agent in the client.

This is not necessary on my network if you are assigned an IP by our Network Admin.

Cheers,
    Andy

6. Eski

Eski Bit poster

Andy, can you explain this in more detail (or point to a source). We're having the same problem on our University secure wireless network. XP in Parallels can see the web but gets the same error as you did when we try to login.
    I have a techie on the case, but he could do with a more detailed explanation of how you got around the problem.

Thanks
    Eski

7. bogmonster

bogmonster Bit poster

Eski, I was having trouble with our hospital network and ended up switching Parallels from Shared to Bridged networking.
    I was also connecting through a hub which seemed to complicate matters but where your going wireless it's probably not relevant.
    The big thing seems to be that your virtual XP needs to have a recognizable address for your
    network/subnet which it won't get through the shared networking.

cheers,
    Chris