I guess I'm done...

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Arickosmo, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Arickosmo

Arickosmo Bit poster

I bought a MBP 15" two weeks ago with the hopes of running Windows and my proprietary business software. After a few late nights, lots of forum reading and one long attempt with BootCamp I am throwing in the towel. I only get two weeks to try this out due to Apples return policy. Without buying ProCare I can only schedule time to see a "genius" after 4:00, not possible for me. So, with great frustration I guess I'm going to have to lose the $80 for Parallels, $200 for the restock fee, $300 for WinXP...all because some bimbo (sorry, but I'm a bit pissed and embarrassed) at Parallels told me, "sure, it'll run anything". So I would like to thank all of you for soldiering on and for all the great info. I think that I almost made it but I've run out of time and patience. Much like their commercials imply, I get the feeling that Macs are made for people who like to use computers, and windows, blecch!, is for work. Back to work I go...

2. MarkHolbrook

MarkHolbrook Pro

I'm curious what it is that doesn't work?

I don't use any USB devices and so far NOTHING I have tried in Parallels has failed to work.

Mark

3. Arickosmo

Arickosmo Bit poster

What doesn't work

The fn keys dont fn. I understand that this could probably be resolved by using the system preferences. I never got that far.
    My processor slowed down so much that the guy at the local Mac (not apple sponsored) store asked what I had done to it. It was truly slower that his G4.
    I have issues with printing on my network at the office. It doesn't want to print properly on a preprinted form, dot mat. printer.
    When I tried BootCamp, it will contimually boot up to windows instead of X. When I get it to go to X instead, the whole comp might as well be loading WindowsXP for the first time. I literally walked away to get a beer while it loaded Safari.
    It trully is killing me to have to return this thing. If I didn't need to run windows by Thursday, I'd keep it and fiddle a bit more but I'm too frustrated to keep up the fight.

4. MarkHolbrook

MarkHolbrook Pro

Ok well something is definitely wrong...

I use the function keys all the time in my Delphi compiler under Windows XP and they work beautifully.

As far as the slow down goes all I can say is RAM. I don't know what you have in your machine but it makes a HUGE difference.

If you already have 1g or 2g of RAM then do you have time to try a clean format and reload? I hate to see you give up on what for me has been nirvana with the MacBookPro and Parallels.

Function keys work, my machine is speedy, boots faster into windows using Parallels than I've seen dedicated windows computers. OS X is speedy and boots for me to login prompt in 20 seconds.

Mark

5. Arickosmo

Arickosmo Bit poster

Um...I was a dumb windows user, so to think that I'm now a smart Mac user is, um...not smart. I do only have 512 ram so far but I don't want to buy more ($115) and then still discover that it just won't do it.

I did go to the system prefs. and got the fn keys to fn work but I still have to hold the um...apple button while I hit the fn key.

What is a clean format? Similar to format c: ? I probably have time tonight but my patience is thin. As much as I hate Windows, I at least know that it will work with my office.

6. VTMac

VTMac Pro

512M is the problem. 512M running only OSX is slower than poo. With Parallels and OSX your machine will essentially be unusable.

7. John the Geek

John the Geek Member

Agreed.

You can set your Boot Camp prefs in the Control Panel in Windows or System Preferences on the Mac to choose the default boot OS, then hold opt right after the startup chime to select the boot OS. You can also turn it on and hold the MENU button on your Apple remote and choose your boot OS.

Boot Camp is the only way you are getting Windows to run decent on 512 MB of RAM. Parallels can't share only 512MB of RAM between itself, and to operating systems at once. This explains why your system is sluggish even after you quit Parallels. You're caching too much to your hard drive.

8. BrentB

BrentB Member

Yup - the slowdown and horrid performance are most likely due to only having 512MB of ram. The way Parallels works, it divides your ram up between the host (OSX) and the VMs. So, if you split it evenly, 512MB will give you 256MB for OSX, and 256MB for your VM. That's quite small, and both will probably start swapping out to the HDD. When that happens, your performance goes to heck.

If you're planning on keeping the MBP, definitely treat yourself to at least 1GB of ram. You can shop around and get quality ram at ~1/3 of what Apple wants for it. Macs are entirely different machines once you get them >= 1GB.

9. John the Geek

John the Geek Member

Mine's at 1GB (2x512MB) and it's still lacking at times. It's acceptable, but two 1GB chips at NewEgg sound really nice. Kingston's only $91.

10. Robster

Robster Hunter

I started off wih 1Gb which was fine UNTIL I fired up Parallels when the machine always started to feel sluggish.

2Gb's and it fly's.

Really there is a world of difference.

I did not think you would even be able start Parallels with only 512Mb's..........

I would certainly hate to try.

Robin

11. Henry-In-Florida

Henry-In-Florida Member

Good one, John! I knew about the System Prefs/Control Panel default, but not the <option>+<right arrow>. This whole thread is a great promo for this and other Forums being read early on. Exploring forums and searching for issues has helped me expand my knowledge base and pre-purchasing research. Heartily recommend looking before leaping!!!

My MBP 2.0GHz was with stock RAM=1GB, and I'm thinking about upping that due to Parallels being slower than expected on the demo (cost nothing to try). Although no longer using Parallels (somewhat satisfied with Boot Camp for now), I can't imagine less than 1 GB on either a MBP or an XP machine, let alone with dual boot or VM!

XP machines like more memory too. So even Windows users need to be aware of the slowdown issues. Certainly no reason to bash Macs...;)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2006
  12. Unshra

Unshra Bit poster

I am going to have to agree with everyone here the RAM seems to be the issue here. It's bad enough trying to run OS X with only 512 but to add a Parallels on top of that would kill the machine. Hell I wouldn't do that with VMWare on a stripped down Linux OS let alone the rather bloated Mac OS X.

Personally I suggest upgrading to a single stick of 1GB at the very least so you have room to grow in the future. Johns newegg link has a nice price however Kingston does not show that RAM as being compatible with the MBP Kingston recommends the KTA-MB667/1G. I would go with what the manufacture says is compatible there is no reason to risk having further complications down the line.

I can say from experience that Macs tend to be more picky about the RAM you use then most PCs, normally you do not notice this doing every day work but you will notice it when you start using apps like Parallels or paying games as you will find yourself greeted with a kernel panic.

But yes the problem is you RAM or lack there of, these days 1GB should be considered minimum and has John pointed out if you can consider upgrading to 2GB other wise just get one stick of 1GB so you have the room to upgrade later on.

I also recently got my MBP 17" it's 2.16Ghz, 2GB RAM and 256MB Video. Parallels runs like a champ, and I use it everyday, I am a sys-admin for LMCO and I tend to run Windows XP and FreeBSD (using it as a test build for a future IDS) at the same time using Virtual Desktop and Shadow book to switch between Windows with a wave of the hand. Both are free apps and I high recommend them for people that use Parallels often.

Virtual Desktop: http://virtuedesktops.info/
    Shadow Book: http://blog.medallia.com/2006/06/shadowbook.html

-Unshra

13. Sledneck

Sledneck Bit poster

I have been using PC's since 1993. I just purchased my Imac a few weeks ago. I love it. I just got tired of things not being right with a PC. Every few months having to do a clean install to regain performance. Trying to get stuff to work proporly. I did have issues with my network Dell printer but, It was my fault that it wouldnt work. I tried to use a Xerox firmware upgrade. (Lucky I didnt brick my printer) I updated my printer with the CORRECT Dell firmware and Bingo... This is by far the easiest plug and play machine I have ever used. I run Parallels with NO problems. every app I have works fine. If I need more performance I might use Boot Camp. You need to loose the PC aditude of things, Macs are too easy and from what I have seen, you cant screw them up to easily.

14. maverick808

maverick808 Hunter

The orginal poster's problems are all quite easily solvable by setting prefs or buying more RAM but to be honest he doesn't sound that prepared to learn new things so I would strongly advise he just returns the Mac and sticks to Windows.

A few people recommend 1GB RAM. To be honest, this is even a little low for running Parallels. The difference between 1GB and 2GB RAM when running Parallels is massive. With 1GB RAM windows is slow and unresponsive but with 2GB the whole machine is smooth and responsive in both OS X and Windows.

15. Arickosmo

Arickosmo Bit poster

Guess what...

You guys gave me a slight boost of confidence. I un-partitioned my drive to eliminate boot camp and seemed to speed things up a bit. Last night I got a chance to fiddle with some other settings in system as well as my window/bus. software. I ended up getting fn keys to work. These two things left me with much more confidence that it was at least possible.

Today I fixed my printing problem. Then I went and bought two gigs of ram.

Long story short, It seems to function acceptably well.

Maverick, the next time you spend two grand of someone elses money, who happens to be your boss and you may have simply wasted it, I'll try to be understanding of your panic. You see, I had until about right now to make it function flawlessly. If I didn't see that it was possible you bet I was going to cut my losses, and those would have been personal $'s, and get back to what I know. Fact is, I've been thrust into the position of being the IT guy at my office. All I really know about IT is that it spells it. I guess what I'm saying is, "have a little patience" and if you're not going to help then why bother speaking?

I'm off to search another problem.

Thanks to all of you for the help and encouragement, hopefully I'll be able to help a noob like myself out someday. I'm still here, and I'm keeping the Mac.

-Andy

16. maverick808

maverick808 Hunter

I did try to help. You seemed quite lost and it also seemed you had already made up your mind to give up. Indeed, the very title of the thread implies that you will not be trying anything else to rectify your situation.

Given those facts it seemed prudent that the best course of action would be to return to what you know. I was trying to be helpful and not rude. For example, I certainly wasn't derogatory to anyone...

17. constant

constant Forum Maven

Arickosmo,

The real human being at Parallels who told you it would run everything, they were absolutely correct. We have tried lots and lots of programs at our Linux user group and every single one has run flawlessly. There has been no report from any user on these forums of a single program that cannot be made to run properly.

When you charge in with your very first post, saying your going to give it all away, and calling a nice person at Parallels a bimbo, well, I'm sorry, but it just makes you sound like a right tosser.

Maverick was most reasonable. If someone is unwilling to change, trying to force the issue always ends in tears.

It's ironic that you say you're off to search another problem, as a little searching of these forums would have revealed the answers to all your concerns, without the need to go and embarrass yourself.

Good luck with your new role. There is nothing quite like an internal services position as your collegues are your customers.

18. Arickosmo

Arickosmo Bit poster

You are both correct. I reply with my tail firmly planted between my legs. I re-read my original post and agree that I most definetely had made up my mind at the time of that post. I suppose that what I was hoping for was some magic bullet. Instead, enough people gave me bits of hope and I figured it out.

I think it was the "honesty" part of your post that stung the most. I'm sorry if I offended you maverick. Nothing is more stubborn than the truth so I got offended...

Anyway, thanks and I'm sorry.

oh, and what exactly is a right tosser?
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term="right+tosser"

Last edited: Aug 2, 2006
  19. constant

constant Forum Maven

20. mkstevo

mkstevo Member

Just a quick note ...

I am new to the Mac , having spent ( too many ... ) years locked in the Microsoft prison .

Bought myself a Mac Mini with the Intel DuoCore 1.66 and 512Mb ram . I bought this as soon as I read about Boot Camp ( I may have the occaisional need to run Windows / Delphi ) .

I heard of Parallels , downloaded the trial , installed it , installed an old copy of Windows ME to see that it would run it , this worked well ( if a little slowly due to not having full optimisation with Parallels ) . I bought a full copy of Parallels and finally got around to loading XP ( instead of ME ) .

I find that it runs really well on the DuoCore , even with 512Mb ram . I don't see any real issues of slowing down or sluggish access , I have even got my USB printer to work in XP ( using a CUPS printer ) .

Everything I have tried ( so far ) has worked , including USB devices with the exception of the printer which crashed the XP computer . Maybe it is that I have got in the Windows habit of not running too many programs at the same time ?

I say Hooray for Parallels !!